Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Turk Rework Concerns?

diggerdanh

Gents, I'm getting down to the nitty gritty on my first large ring project. I've done a couple "practice" projects on small rings in the past (a Turk '93 and a Brazilian 94 with Swede barrel). I've been stockpiling large rings since I renewed my C&R and have gotten busy at my workbench again. I've got a bunch more projects planned out after I finish up this one.

Anyway, this current project is a based on a Turk rework with the "counter bored" front ring. Because it's my first large ring project and because I've read about the concerns of the loss of threads I thought I'd keep this one fairly simple, just stick with the 8mm military barrel and do a "classic sporter", put it in a decent walnut stock, 1-pc Redfield mount, Timney trigger, Buehler safety, etc.

I got the barrel pulled off last night and I got to see up close what the Turks had done to that nice German 98. I thought that I'd read that in most cases 5 threads are usually left? Well, in my case it's only a solid 4 threads, not even a hint of a 5th.

Should I be any more concerned than I was already? I can tell you that there were not any issues with holding power, that thing was on there tight!

My thoughts are that this is a really nice receiver (especially since I've already stoned, lightly polished, and D&T'd it) and I'd hate to have to use it as a paperweight. I figure that it's probably fired plenty of 8mm through it in the past with that same barrel so it should be okay. But then again there are plenty of Spanish and South American 93/95 actions that have probably fired a lot of 7.62N through them and I'd just as soon not shoot any of them.

I think I'll continue on as planned, but thought I'd throw the question up here anyway for feedback.

Thoughts? Is the just 4 threads left intact that I found unusual? What have you guys seen?

Thanks,

Dan