Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Bubba'd Modell-mauser

okie edge

Found a worked over rifle in a pawnshop. Two holes front and aft, crappy sights, and the ugliest thumbhole stock that I have ever seen.

A nice bannered mauser on the front ring. Modell-Mauser on the side rail. Stepped barrel. Turned down bolt that may have been after the fact. 8x57. Not rusty.

My question is this. If one of the front holes caught the lug seating face: Is it repairable and is it worth doing to salvage the action?

They will sell at 150 to 175.

Will this make a nice sporter; say 280?

thanks

M

My question is this. If one of the front holes caught the lug seating face: Is it repairable and is it worth doing to salvage the action?

Without making any recommendation, the final decision is always yours, a few random thoughts.

Sounds like the buy in is pretty reasonable, do your best negotiation. If it doesn't work out you haven't lost much and have

gained experience.

If properly placed at 12:00 even if too far to the rear so as to "nick" the locking lug, the top lug is the one that mates to

the lug with the ejector split so no force is applied when fired for the width of the ejector slot which also is at 12:00 when

the bolt is closed / locked.

You would want to remedy any 'burr' that a nick might leave. You wouldn't want to mar the bolt lug as it is rotated into

and out of the lock position.

You will need to pull the barrel to evaluate the above. You'll want to evaluate the width of the "nick" Vs the width of the

ejector slot.

Oh! Yes and you may get lucky. This happened to me. I drilled a hole too far to the rear but my drill bit and tap never

even scratched the lug face. The rear of the hole is right into the 'bevel' where the lug transitions into the outer wall

of the receiver.

You pays your money, you takes your chances.

Best of luck, keep us posted

Tinker :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Went by the pawn shop again fri. Tried to talk myself into it. Could'nt do it. It WAS a nice gun at one time. Matching #'s . The barrel was junk, two off center holes into the bore. Eleven, count em; eleven holes drilled and tapped in the reciever. At least three different sizes. the search goes on.

okie

• 1 year later...

<!--quoteo(post=44061:date=Jun 19 2009, 01:45 PM:name=sonic1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sonic1 @ Jun 19 2009, 01:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=44061"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i'M in duncan , as for the 09 or 1910 thats for others here to say<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

hi Duncan.....Broken Bow here!!

Hey Okie Im in Valliant. I think we've met before :D

Guest okie edge

hey Valliant;

Did you make the little gun show at hugo a couple weeks back. Had two pretty nice agentines with matching numbers. He was proud of them too. 450 ea.

take care

m