Military Firearm Restoration Corner

New Reloading Toys!

AzRednek

It all started when I landed a MEC Jr 20 ga shotshell loader and components at a flea market for 15.00. Didn't need it but I'm not against to making a fast buck on Ebay. When I checked the going price on the shotshell loader and other reloading tools Ebay I immediately saw dollar signs. Don't know if it is ignorance or auction fever but people are paying some ridicules prices on Ebay for used loading equipment and tools.

I've been reloading since 71 and have accumulated a bunch of stuff that has been collecting dust. I dumped all my old equipment on Ebay and with the money I made I bought brand new Lee Classic Turret Press, Hornady's Lock N Load set-up and a used RCBS Rock Chucker I found on Craig's List for $40. I now feel like I'm loading with 21st Century tools.

The new Lee Classic Turret press worked perfectly, way beyond my expectations. Couldn't believe how fast I loaded 600 rds of 223 without a single hick-up. Maybe not quite as fast as the Lee Loadmaster I sold on Ebay but much faster than with a single stage press. The Loadmaster press is beyond junk, unreliable and frustrating to use. I don't miss the Loadmaster at all and made a killing with it on Ebay. The new Classic turret press is not anywhere near as fast as a progressive loader but it worked as smoothly as a red hot knife through butter. Best of all compared to the Loadmaster each and every round was primed and charged. With the Loadmaster I had to constantly check and re-check to be certain every round was properly charged and primed.

About week later my back-ordered Hornady Lock N Load press finally arrived. After it arrived I discovered the so-called shortages are also effecting the tool market and it sat in the box for almost two weeks before I got any shellplates. At the NRA Convention the Hornady rep told me Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse stock shell plates. All I found was empty shelf space or odd-balls. Didn't do any better shopping on the net so I had to order them direct from Hornady for about 40 bucks a piece and all but two were back ordered. Midway and some others were not taking back orders. All I got for my 1,000 free bullets certificate with the new press was an email notifying me they are on back order.

The Lock N Load progressive set-up worked like a charm. I loaded 100 rds of 45 ACP in nearly no time. After I changed over the shell plate for 45 Auto Rim it took a dump on me after 90 rounds. The key way that guides the shell plate sheared off and afterwords the shellplate no longer stays in alignment. Guess I'm going to find out how well Hornady handles warranties as the press is on it's way back to Nebraska. If I'm lucky the rest of the shellplates will arrive before I get it back.

I'm disappointed the Lock N Load broke but was really impressed with how well it worked. I started out cautiously checking each and every round for proper charge and a seated primer. Unlike the Loadmaster each and every round was properly charged and primed. No upside down primers and every primer was seated to the proper depth. Once I figured out it worked like it was supposed to I proceeded ahead with complete confidence and was spitting out loaded rounds very fast.

After years of coveting a RCBS Rock Chucker press but being to big of a cheapskate to buy one. I found a used one on Craig's list for only $40.00. The seller included a metal de-capped primer tray and the auto primer feed. Turned into a sweet deal. After I bought the Rock Chucker I got 62.50 out of my RCBS Jr and 50+ for my Herters on Ebay.

Sounds good, Dave. I bought one of those MEC something or others for ten bucks at a garage sale, new in the box. I have it mounted and I've played with it some, but I've never loaded a round with it. I don't do much shotgunning. Good deal on the rock chucker. I've wanted one of those, too. I bought my RCBS Jr. in about 1975. It was set up at a sporting goods store as a demo unit, so I got a deal on it. Still use it mostly for primer pocket swaging. It's a big light for rifle ammo. I have a Dillon 550 for everything else. It is a pain to change calibers, though, even with the removeable head thingie.

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased a Hornady Lock n load press and the only good thing was the 1000 free bullets.

My Hornady was out of time day one and was missing parts.

The powder drop was the case activated version and was rough and I had to polish it before it would work.

I have gave up on using the primer feeder the damn thing keeps sticking I have polished it with scotch bright pads and can’t keep it working.

I was loading once fired 308 brass and if the primer pocket was swelled the primer would come out and spill a small amount of powder.

Plus the Hornady dies ads claim you can decap the toughest brass, well I broke may die within the first few cases.

Hornady told me their dies are not made to decap once fired military brass.

That small amount of powder would cause cycling problems with the press.

I called and talked to Hornady they claimed the press was designed to be a full progressive press.

In the end I got some freebies and all of the parts I needed were taken care of but I still have a press that I can’t use as a progressive press.

I want to load some pistol ammo and have yet to buy the pistol rotor for the powder drop.

The rifle powder drop could never throw a consistent charge and I’m afraid that if I load pistol ammo the powder drop may throw a super hot load.

All of this said I think I just got a lemon the new version of Hornady lock n load maybe better.

Right now the 1000 free bullets are worth about $200 so that means you only got about $180 in the press.

• 2 weeks later...

My lock N Load took a dump again after returning it to Hornady. This time though I have to blame it on my temper. The part that seats primers came loose, primers were not being fully seated, caused the shell plate to drag and sure enough I put a bit to much elbow grease on the lever and sheared of the key again. Additional drag on the shellplate occured from spilled powder through the flash hole of a case that didn't get a primer. I returned it to Hornady again along with a letter to Steve Hornady. Hopefully when I get back the second time it will work as perfect as the unit I saw demonstrated at the NRA Convention.

I did have some difficulty at first getting the primer slide to work. I went to work on the slider with a stone and file, sprayed it with some PB dry lube and it began working near perfect. I also removed a burr from the housing the primer tubes sit on. I learned I have to keep an eye on the slider with each stroke and occasionally have to coax it into place. When the Lock N load operates like it is supposed to it kicks out loaded rounds like crazy. On another group most users claim you have to constantly watch the alignment. As soon as it is out of whack, readjust it. I did a little better than 400 rounds and realigned it twice.

If I didn't already have a small fortune invested in the Lock N Load I'd probably go with the new RCBS progressive. The RCBS unit uses the CCI primer strips but they include a tool with the kit to load the strips. If I remember correctly from the demos at the NRA Convention, the RCBS unit was about a hundred bucks more. I'm still being stubborn and wont spend any money at Dillion's unless there is no alternative.