Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Scrounged Up An Mauser Action

8uck5nort

OK. I could not resist. Put in a low bid and low and behold I won it. Who would have guessed.

Anyway this was advertised as a 1908 Brazilian which should have been a LR action. I have a Boyds stock I bought a while ago that is for a LR mauser. I thought this was a good fit for a future project after the upcoming deer season is over in January of 2010.

Well upon reciept I discovered this is not a 1908 LR it is a 1894 SR mauser. So much for that idea.

Overall I am not upset. I've wanted to work with a Swede small ring at some point. Guess I'll save this one and just barrel it in a 6.5 swede. My Braziwede!

Here are some pics. Reciever was painted black and I just got done stripping off the black paint. It almost looks like it has some kinda plating... Not sure. It has some pitting, not too bad and the reciever ring surface has some scratches.

I assume I will need to lathe or file the reciver ring face smooth again bfore rebarrleing, and I was thinking of having this action bead blasted to cover up the pitting or do think it is mild enough to just sand down to a 400 to 600 grit finish and blue?... Ideas welcome here. First time I will be building out from just the action.

The trigger guard has a gap caused by a flared forward pillar. Easy enough to fix.

The bolt looks good. The only thinf is it does not lock up tight. I can move the bolt back and forth when it is in the fire position. I know these military rifles have some pretty large tolerances, but not enough to actually move the bolt when it supposed to be closed. I did the down and dirty test for reciever set back and the bolt does not creep forward upon opening so I don't think it is the issue. The bolt does not appear to match the reciever. I am thinking a different bolt may lock up tighter? Not sure.

Anyway this one is going in the future projects department and will be a "work on it when nothing else is happening" type thing.

post-5537-1248557010_thumb.jpg

post-5537-1248557204_thumb.jpg

post-5537-1248557375_thumb.jpg

post-5537-1248557493_thumb.jpg

post-5537-1248557724_thumb.jpg

post-5537-1248557951_thumb.jpg

post-5537-1248558015_thumb.jpg

i don't know man, if it was me, i think i'd be a little miffed. were the pictures clear when you bid on it? getting a small ring when you expected a large ring is kind of a big deal. that particular action has more pitting than i'd be comfortable with. it may clean up and it may not. i've not dealt with that. i've heard of guys bondo-ing the pits and gun-koting over it. a 6.5x55 is good for a small ring. good move there. it's a heck of a round. the bolt looks good. not much pitting that i can see. how's the face?

I'm going out on a limb here-I'm sure not the most knowlegable Mauser person. I've never seen a Swede with Spanish words on it. I think the 1894 is date of mfg not model. You stated "a low bid". If low enough, perhaps working on those pits is worth it. Then again, I had quite a bit of hand work on my Turk. Not pitted so much as lousy forging marks and grooves. Maybe someone who has dealt with this more will chime in. Either way small rings are cool and I want one!

I think that one should go back. The pitting is excessive. The cost of cleaning it up, if it can be done, is going to exceed the cost of starting with a decent action. If it was represented as a 1908, the seller just lied.

Clemson

I think that one should go back. The pitting is excessive. The cost of cleaning it up, if it can be done, is going to exceed the cost of starting with a decent action. If it was represented as a 1908, the seller just lied.

Clemson

Clemson

I probably should send it back. Lesson learned. I am sticking to buying whole rifles from reputable places. I got it relatively cheap. The pitting is not on any "working" surface. It was painted black and the pitting looks deeper than it is. I am going to keep it as long running project and reminder to not do that again. <_<

Walnut

As far as I know you would be correct. No Spanish language Swedes. This is a Brazilian 1804 small ring mauser that I want to barrel in 6.5 swede. I was stating (and proabably not very well) that I want to get a Swede one day and sporterize it, but for now this is what I got. A Brazilian reciever with a future Swede barrel.

724WD

The guy stated it had pitting and was "rough" and had been painted black. He also said it was a 1908 Brazilian action. I knew I was not getting a beauty, but thought it was one that was functional. Bolt is in very good shape. Bolt face looks good. Not a great picture but I think you can see it is in good shape... Let me know if my assumption is wrong.

post-5537-1248582474_thumb.jpg

In the end I am going to try and further my gunsmithing skills. If I can't build a safe rifle I will put it backup for sale and just list it truthfully or sell of the parts and probably make my money back, or get it close enough that I will only be out 10-15 bucks at worst and chalk it up as a lesson.

The pitting seems to be pretty much all over it.

I'll bet it was buried or a least left outside for a long time.

Ken98k,

You maybe right, hot steamy climates and metal usually don't get along very well especially if your 115 years old. LOL.. :rolleyes:

Just trying to make some lemonade when I got handed a lemon...

Keep in mind the thing was painted black and I'm sure the pitting effect is being exaggerated in the pix because black paint is still in the bottom of the pits It really makes them stand out.

The interior is actually clean and no pitting is in the rails, lug raceways or on the threads. The bolt is in very good condition relative to the reciever. I spent a good deal of time Sunday cleaning and sanding with wet/dry paper to get out the majority of the pitting and let it soak in acetone to get out the rest of the black paint. It looks much better, but there is no doubt it has pitting especially under the woodline. Functionally it appears sound.

Like I mentioned I am a little concerned about the bolt fit when it locked into firing position, but I don't have enough experience to know if that is ok, bad, but fixable, or "whoa dude thow that one away." When the time comes (read when have spare coinage) I was going to ask for quotes from some of the more knowledgable if I could ship it to them for inspection and then heat treating, granting it passed inspection. Other than this it looks slavageable. :blink:

I am thinking along these lines:

1. Get what pitting I can out and polish to 220 grit. Time and elbow grease.

2. Send off for bolt seating concern and possible heat treat. Should be minimal fee for the shipping and inspection. Project comes to a scrething halt if a no-go and I sell off the parts and pieces to recover some of my "investment". Otherwise run it through the oven. cha-ching

3. Granting it passes muster, fill deepest pits which are all below the woodline with metal filler then beadblast. Some more DIY and I am assuming a beadblast is not that expensive or specialized. Just don't get the threads and the rails.

4. Gun-Kote a matte or glossy black along with barrel of choice (probably a 6.5 sweede). DIY granting I can get a finishing reamer and some guages.

5. Send out bolt for new handle. Costs not too bad as long as I don't go nuts.

6. Drop in a thumbhole stock and bed. DIY as long as I get a semi inltetted stock.

That is the plan anyway. Looking at next year on this one. Maybe...

looks like a good learning tool..i think it will work..never be a gem ...but you need to start somewhere..bead blasting will help

Yep. I would skip the sanding and just have it sandblasted, or better still, have it bead blasted with course media.

You can try to blend in the pits rather than sand them out.

Depending on what your gunsmith tells you about your bolt lockup concerns.

Kenny

It surely does look lots better.I think bead-blasting or jewelling will work.At least you got a German made action outta the deal.I'm planning on bead blasting a 1908 I have,extra course,and Parkerizing it in a camo friendly color,then stocking it with a camo Choate light-weight stock,and slapping on a Nikon camo scope.Jerry

• 4 months later...

OK spotted this one while browsing old dead threads.

This action is actually a 1893 Mauser Made by Loewe, Berlin in 1894 for Brasil. As such, you should have had to do no paperwork or pay any transfer fees on it. It is not legally a gun of any type. It is classified simply as an Antique. Mfg. prior to Jan 1, 1899. It was made 14 yr before the first 1908.

Give away is the Flat bottom bolt face and the integral guide rib in the left reciever rail. IMO the 93 is the very slickest of the slick actions because of the FL guide rib.

Definitely keep it in a lower pressure range cartridge. 6.5's are Schweeet and would be a perfect match for this action.

Good Catch

just my 2 cents worth, ya get what ya pay for.

I think you got a good deal 8uck. A little bit of work and hopefully it will turn out to be a really good shooter. However based on the fact it was falsely advertised I would still make a complaint.

I traded this action to Brenden for his Williams scope jig and some taps. In fact I am shipping it off today.

I hope he makes good use of it. I would have loved to put a sweede barrel on it, but I have three other running projects now in various stages and needed a scope jig more than another action. It would have taken me a year or two (more likely at the rate I am working) to get back to this one.

And thats what she shall be. A sweed barrel will be on her. New bolt,d&t, and reheat treatment is in her future. Maybe weld up some pits too while i'm at it. I've seen alot worse tho, nothing a little weld or steel putty won't fix.

Brenden

And thats what she shall be. A sweed barrel will be on her. New bolt,d&t, and reheat treatment is in her future. Maybe weld up some pits too while i'm at it. I've seen alot worse tho, nothing a little weld or steel putty won't fix.

Brenden

Brenden if you can post pics when your done and give some info on how you did it that would be great for us newbies.