Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Dag-nabbdest Thing I Ever Did See...

rustvyper

Alright, new bro-in-law is a huge fan of mosin sporter. He needs a good rifle for deer season as he's a recent IL transplant & since they are all commies up there they can't hunt with rifles. :)

I told him we'd build one together...nothing fancy, black ATI sporter stock, modified ATI style bolt (welded, not the D&T crap), ATI mount, park it & wait for the timney trigger to come out in a few months. Take us all of a day I figure.

Step one...order the parts.

So SOG is running a special on 91/30's - $69.95 - so we took a chance & ordered one. Came today & here are the results:

IMG_0213.JPG

this is with a 54R down the throat :angry:

IMG_0215.JPG

This is with a S&W 40! :(

IMG_0217.JPG

Shot out barrel, right? Not so fast! I run my bore light to take a look & it looks nice & crisp, but here the weird part...barreling just slap quits ~1.5 inches from the crown. Never seen anything like it. So I'm gonna take it to the range & see how it works. If it does ok it's no big deal anyway, because we were planning on cutting it to 22in & re-crowning. I've just never seen the like & I have quite a collection of unaltered mosins.

Anyone ever seen anything like this?

Repeat after me "COUNTER - BORE".

What you have there is a barrel that has been counter bored.

Tons of VZ 24s were counter bored .

When the barrel was cleaned from the muzzle with the steel cleaning rod the crown was made out of round

This is usually in some sort of a funnel shape so they bore down the barrel deep enough until they think that

the bottom of the funnel has been reached. What it makes is a VERY recessed crown.

That old girl may shoot just fine.

Tinker