Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Sarco And Mitchells Are They The Same?

rdm1962

Sarco sucks! I placed an order with Sarco for a m48 yugo v.g. to excelent condition, hand select and matcking bolt. With shipping the total came to $190. I placed this order on June 15th. My check cleared my account July 15th. As of this morning I called to check on the status of my order. " We have been sold out of the m48 for at least a month and a half." My order is placed in back order. I could wait, change my order to a m48a or get a refund. They are advertising items that they do not have, still listed on their web site. I my book this is just as misleading as what Mitchells does.

I know that there is little differance between the two m48's. This was going to be my "keeper/ shooter" Mauser so I wanted the better of the 2. The surplus market in the St. Louis area has poor quality and high prices. The whole point of a C&R license is to get better quality and price anyway. I have yet to deside what I will do.

Hey anyone out there has a m48 or k98 that they might want to part with. I would rather get a refund at this time and do business with a member of the form.

I felt I should be a good consumer and let others know of my disapointment and now distrust of this retailer.

P. S. I ordered my 35 Whelen barrel from E R Shaw for my Turk build. They were upfront that would be at least 16 weeks turn around. So it is not a matter of time just poor service.

Thank You for your time.

Ralph

that really sucks. if it is a real nice shooter you are looking for, i would get my money back and do some buisness with someone on this sight. you might end up paying a little more, but i am sure youll get a much better product. but thats just my opinoin. keep us updated on your turk/whelen build. brian

that really sucks. if it is a real nice shooter you are looking for, i would get my money back and do some buisness with someone on this sight. you might end up paying a little more, but i am sure youll get a much better product. but thats just my opinoin. keep us updated on your turk/whelen build. brian

Thank Brian That is what I just did.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I came to an agreement with Sarco. It took several calls and E-mails. I had to accepted a M48A, "hand select" and matching bolt. Mike said that I could have the accesory pack for the $10 differance. He didn't know if there were any matching bolts left but would look.

The UPS truck came yesterday. The overall condition of the rifle is very good. Muzzle gauges less than 3 and has strong rifleing. All numbers match including the stock. Overall I would say it is on par with my service grade M-1 from CMP.

The down sides are a dent on the trigger gaurd and the accesory kit was missing the ammo pouch. I think it can be undented and I didn't need the ammo pouch anyway.

I think their service is still very poor. If you are thinking of ordering don't spend extra for the matching bolt. Mike lead me to belive that they were out of them as of 8/6. This could slow your order down even more or put you in back order.

I will post pictures and range report as soon as I can.

Thanks Ralph

O.K. here it is. This is the M48A I got from Sarco. Overall very little cosmo. Break clean wasn't cutting it very well. I actualy used this stuff my wife has ( I think for when I do the cooking) called Krud Kutter. It melted the gummy old cosmo like butter. It pulled it out of the stock and didn't raise the grain. The stock was treated with mineral spearits and lots of tung oil. You can see the dent in the trigger gaurd. I think I will leave it be not bad and gives it that used look. Every thing is matching even the firing pin has the serial number electro penciled on it.

I can't get to the range until tomorrow, only 30 rounds of surplus yugo ammo on hand. I went to buy dies, brass and bullets today. My local Graffs was sold out. I will order them on line. Hopefully it will groups well.

post-3785-1250366940_thumb.jpg

post-3785-1250367014_thumb.jpg

post-3785-1250367040_thumb.jpg

post-3785-1250367068_thumb.jpg

post-3785-1250367105_thumb.jpg

post-3785-1250367133_thumb.jpg

post-3785-1250367173_thumb.jpg

post-3785-1250367202_thumb.jpg

post-3785-1250367232_thumb.jpg

post-3785-1250367255_thumb.jpg

That's maybe 30.00 more than Yugos at Cleveland gun shows. None, and I mean none, are as clean as that. Except maybe Mitchells and they are much more money. It seems the 48A gets a bad rap mostly from stamped bottom metal. On the other hand, I don't think they saw much active duty so they have decent bores. If you're planning on leaving it in military form, this may be the better way to go!

Thats a good looking gun. I have two yougo's. A 48 and a 24/47. The 48 i left alone and the 24/47 is in the works for a light weight .308. There was a gun show a while back and a guy had a 48 for sale. He wanted large sum of $250 for it and it looked like crap. He argued me up and down that it was a standard length 98 german made gun. I finally mumbled profanity under my breath and walked off.

Nice gun.

Brenden

Here is the range report on the M48A. The pictures say it all. I had the sights set at 200 yards. Overall I am pleased with the final outcome. The muzel is tight ang rifle is in v-good condition. I may order from them agian but will call to see if the item is in stock first.

Branden, I know what you meen. Yesterday I saw a scrubed M48A. It had been road real hard and put away wet. They wanted $295 for it. I think people will be "asking" top dollar for a while longer. Gun shows have slowed down around here some what. All the people that are new to the shooting sports will still pay to much. They don't understand the price on the tag can be talked down.

I guess the good side is that in a year from now we can get some bargins. I saw the same thing happen after the Clinton craze was forgotten about. When those people moved on to their next fad they let stuff go real cheap.

Ralph

post-3785-1250458434_thumb.jpg

post-3785-1250458476_thumb.jpg

post-3785-1250458504_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

<b>Sarco sucks</b>!

P. S. I ordered my 35 Whelen barrel from E R Shaw for my Turk build. They were upfront that would be at least 16 weeks turn around. So it is not a matter of time just poor service.

Thank You for your time.

Ralph

Did you consider getting an A&B barrel from Midway, and have someone recut the threads to small ring threads? Much cheaper and quicker. The last 35 Whelen I built I lucked into a rethreaded A&B barrel on eBay, and installed it on a Turk action with .

I ordered my 35 Whelen barrel from E R Shaw for my Turk build. They were upfront that would be at least 16 weeks turn around. So it is not a matter of time just poor service.

Ralph

ER Shaw is always slow, they build their barrels to order instead of having a few on hand. I read somewhere that their main business is making machine gun barrels and sporter barrels has become a sideline.

In spite of being slow, they do sell a quality product. I have a couple of their barrels and have had no issues with them.

• 3 months later...

Thank You for your time.

Ralph

Ralph,

Could you keep us posted on your 35 Whelen build. I'm planning on the same build latter this years.

Thanks,

Bobg

• 4 weeks later...

......A&B barrel from Midway,...........Much cheaper and quicker............

I put an A&B 6.5x55 on my '09 Argentine action and it shoots so well that it's just not funny. One-hole three shot groups using 160 grain RNs. Never expected that from a $70 barrel. I have experience with Douglas and have always been pleased but the A&B really surprised me. It may be a fluke or it may be they just really are decent barrels, but there is a 7x57 A&B barrel waiting in the safe for "some day" and I couild only hope that it shoots so well.