Military Firearm Restoration Corner

.416 Rigby

ken98k

There is a very interesting article in this months American Rifleman. It describes the personal rifle of the legendary Harry Selby of Ker and Downey Safaris.

It states in 1940’s he had a double that was damaged beyond repair and needed a rifle in a hurry so he got a 416 Rigby “magazine rifle”

Mr. Selby goes on to describe the rifle as being built on a Standard Mauser Action.

At first he had some doubts about it but it soon became a natural extension and he used it exclusively for many years thereafter.

It was an interesting article and I'm looking forward to the second half next month.

I think when he said standard action he was probably saying 7 7/8" screwhole to screwhole. The Mausers were and are long magnumed by extending the front of the magazine well on the tg and then filing away the area below the feedramp on the receiver to match, long enough to hold the whopper cartridges. Last couple years I've done it on a 375 Weatherby and an 8x68s on commercial 98s.

Brad

Kenny,

Its possible but it takes a very skilled 'smith to do it. Even then, there is no consensus on the safety of doing this conversion. I know of one, maybe two gunsmiths who consider this challenge. All others I've ever met or spoken to online all say there's really not enough material left in an M98 action to allow this to be done safely.

Some will remind you that Harry Selby actually shot the original barrel out on his rifle and had to get it rebarreled.

Others will say its possible but not practical.

Personally, I say that if you have to a .416 that bad, you need either a big Enfield, a Granite Mountain Mauser, or a Ruger No. 1 Tropical.

In any event, this is definitely not a project for a garage gun crank with surplus Mauser and Midway action wrench. (Even though you guys continue to amaze me with your creativity and resourcefulness!!)

Kenny,

Its possible but it takes a very skilled 'smith to do it. Even then, there is no consensus on the safety of doing this conversion. I know of one, maybe two gunsmiths who consider this challenge. All others I've ever met or spoken to online all say there's really not enough material left in an M98 action to allow this to be done safely.

Some will remind you that Harry Selby actually shot the original barrel out on his rifle and had to get it rebarreled.

Others will say its possible but not practical.

Personally, I say that if you have to a .416 that bad, you need either a big Enfield, a Granite Mountain Mauser, or a Ruger No. 1 Tropical.

In any event, this is definitely not a project for a garage gun crank with surplus Mauser and Midway action wrench. (Even though you guys continue to amaze me with your creativity and resourcefulness!!)

Personally, I have very little interest in 416 Rigby. First of all, I couldn't afford to shoot it!

I do find it immensely interesting that it was done at all, especially since Selby is the guy telling the story.

I have read other second or third hand stories about British gun makers building this sort of rifle and even read that the Mauser Co. sent a letter out discouraging the practice.

I looked up the .416 Rigby this weeked in "Cartridges of the World" and was somewhat suprised to find it was originally designed to work in a standard length action. Pressure is only in the 40,000 range.

I always assumed it was in the .375 H&H or longer catagory.

Hmm, gets a guy thinking.