Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Went To The Range Sunday

8uck5nort

Got out Sunday afternoon with one of my sons and spent a few hours at the 100 yard range.

Meet up with Rivitr at the range and between the three of us burned up a few hundred rounds of ammo in various calibers.

I was on a mission to zero in the scope on my LaCoruna mauser using my handloads. Unfortunately, I suck, or the gun sucks, or both. (Probably the later)

I could not get it to print reliably on the paper at 100 yards to save my life and I was constantly adjusting the scope no matter which load I was using.

It was frustrating. The best grouping all day was a 2" group at 100 yards with my open sight CVA Wolf muzzleloader... Go figure.

Rivitr shot my German BCD 41 mauser and the forend piece separated about an 1/8th of an inch from the stock??? Not a big deal. I can fix that easy enough, but it is so much more accurate than the LaCoruna and easier to adjust. Once I get the stock repaired maybe I'll use that for yotes this upcoming season. At least I can hit something with that.

As for the Spanish mauser, after another poor showing at the range, I made up my mind. I am going to spin the barrel and replace it with a 7x57. I have the German in 8mm mauser. So adding another caliber in the mauser family makes sense.

When I re-barrel the LaCoruna I am going to go ahead and tap and drill the action for a scope. I think the majority of the problems with my accracy are stemming from the "drop-in" scope kit that replaces the rear leaf sights. It seems solid, but the constant playing with L-R and elevation just does not add up.

Anyway, any day at the range is better than a good day at the office! :rolleyes:

I would take the scope of and see how it groups with issue sights.

That way you will know if it is the rifle or the scope.

Check to see that the screws are tight holding the action into the stock.

karl

The scope set up you speak of IS A PIECE OF $H!*. Believe me, been there done that. They are not reliable at all. I'm not knocking your set up or trying to put you down, I had the same set up on a Yugo. It sucked.

7X57 is a good cal. Good choice.

At least you got to run some rounds through it and hear a bang. I havn't target shot for a few weeks.

Brenden

I have to concur, some of those scout style scope mounts leave a little to be desired. Not all but some.

8uck5nort, if you pull the barrel on the Spanish Mauser, just eyeball the lug seats for any sign of set back while you have it apart. It'll probably be ok, but you never know.

Good choice on the 7mm Mauser.

Spiris

When I was younger and hard-headed I re-barreled a few La Coronas and every one went south. On one, it was so soft, the receiver threads came out with the barrel. If your Spanish Mauser is still original, sell it and buy a decent Mauser. The trick on gunbroker is to sell it as a European Mauser. "European" seems to fetch a few more bux than Spanish Mauser.

When I was younger and hard-headed I re-barreled a few La Coronas and every one went south. On one, it was so soft, the receiver threads came out with the barrel. If your Spanish Mauser is still original, sell it and buy a decent Mauser. The trick on gunbroker is to sell it as a European Mauser. "European" seems to fetch a few more bux than Spanish Mauser.

This is my first project rifle and didn't know any better on the LaCoruna. It was original until I got ahold of it. Again didn't know any better... Now I do.

This one actually appears to lockup nice and tight and there is no forward creep. I have not seen any separated cases from Turk milsurp, commercial or handloads when using this rifle so even though I have not checked the headspace it does not display any of the symptoms (as I understand it).

However, what you are saying is not lost. When I pull the barrel I plan on sendig this to Mike for inspection and carburizing along with another action before I rebarrel them.