Military Firearm Restoration Corner

270-57

Guest TONEY

Can you get a A&B barrel in 270win short chambered enough to use as a 270-57.

Would like to adjust a 270win die instead of reaming. I realy think it would make a good white tail load

I'm sure that some barrel makers would chamber to your specs, but I don't know if A&B is one of them. You're still going to want to have a 270 reamer on hand so you might as well get a blank and cut the whole chamber.

The cartridge idea is an interesting one and a 270 x 57 would be a good versatile performer (maybe even almost as good as a 6.5 x 55 or 7 x 57 biggrin.gif ).

Guest MorgansBoss

Why is a poor question to ask an experimenter, however allow me to be the devil's advocate and ask - why? The proven 7x57 is so close to the .270 in diameter it seems redundant. Add the much wider range of bullets available in 7mm, readily available brass, reamers, dies,etc., etc. and it seems a waste of time. Likewise the 6.5x55 (or even the obscure 6.5x57). Even the 6.5(s) has more options available off the shelf than any wildcat. It has even been suggested that Winchester only chose the .270 bullet due to the popularity of 6.5 wildcats making the rounds in the 20's and 30's and the marketing stratigy of offering something different. A stratigy that many would say is inferior to Remingtons track record of plagerizing popular wildcats. Some say Winchester should have stuck with the .264 bullet (6.5-06 that would be to the rest of us).

By all means though, if you feel you just have to find out and are willing to endure the trouble and expense to do so then do it... just be sure and let the rest of us know if you really have found something special. wink.gif

Why is a poor question to ask an experimenter,

4372[/snapback]

Somebody probably asked Mr Roberts the same question!! There is a newsgroup dedicated to wildcatting. If you can find it you might find somebody that has tried it. Wish I could give you a link I haven't been there in over a year. Good luck and please keep this group informed of the progress.

Tony

If you want to experiment and do it somewhat more cheaply..... hows about

a Remington 270 barrel on a Turk receiver?

I think it would be fairly easy to shorten up the Remington barrel to where a

"57" reamer would work.

Heck, I think I've got a prime candidate for that in my drawer.

You'd have to do the math and see where on the 270win case and the "57" case

the diameters concide and then figure the length from there.

Just thinking out loud, if there is a "gots ya" I'm sure someone will think of it.

Tinker