Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Last One Alive (u.s.)

ken98k

they said he was under weigth to join the marines.those guys must have been small.when i was about 12,and a skinny runt i bought a jacket just like frank has on for 25centbrandnew.and it took a size large to fit. when igot it it had the buttons in the pocket so had to put them yourself.

That's sad. That means my patient back in 1993 (he was 92) who was in WW1 is dead. He was tall with a cow lick of grey hair on the front of his head. He cried when he found out at the VA Hospital in Shreveport, LA that because his wife was small, and couldn't care for him, he could never go home again.

He cried when he found out at the VA Hospital in Shreveport, LA that because his wife was small, and couldn't care for him, he could never go home again.

Wow, I can only imagine what a blow that was to hear. I hope you were not the one that had to tell him.

Yup, I had to lay it out for him. I think he had a hip or knee replacement. His wife was a little thing, and he was about 6'2". More than once I've either had to tell the elderly, or be there when they're told that they can't go back home to live. People really need to deal with their estate issues before they get to the physical point that they have a house and can't deal with it or their belongings. It's quite the shock.