Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Guided artillery rounds

FC

Army tests 'Excalibur' smart artillery munition

September 28, 2005

PICATINNY ARSENAL, N.J. (Army News Service, Sept. 28, 2005) -- U.S. troops in Iraq and Afghanistan could have a significantly more accurate howitzer-fired munition by March, officials said, following successful demonstration of the Army’s first fully autonomous guided projectile, Excalibur, at Yuma Proving Ground, Ariz., Sept. 15.

The 155mm guided Excalibur round, known as the XM982, is more accurate than any currently available, said officials from the Army Project Manager for Combat Ammunition Systems located at Picatinny Arsenal, N.J.

A total of 165 Excalibur rounds have been contracted for $23 million.

The projectile’s accuracy is better than 10 meter, a figure that represents a huge improvement over existing munitions, officials said. Excalibur will be used in Army and Marine Corps howitzers, to include the M109A6 Paladin, the M777 Lightweight 155 Howitzer and the Future Combat Systems’ Non-Line Of Sight Cannon.

“Excalibur will reduce collateral damage, increase survivability of friendly troops and accomplish the mission more efficiently,” according to Col. Ole Knudson, the project manager who oversees Army combat ammunition development programs.

Knudsen called the Sept. 15 demonstration “a tremendous success.”

“Excalibur has been proven at the system level to meet its precision and lethality objectives,” he said.

The demonstration consisted of firing an Excalibur projectile from a Paladin 155mm self-propelled howitzer at a target 15 kilometers away.

Eyewitnesses said the munition detonated successfully within seven meters of the target.

The round was set to activate in “height of burst” mode using an enhanced portable inductive artillery fuze setter.

During flight, the projectile “de-rolled” successfully, deployed canards, acquired GPS signals, calculated the navigation solution and maneuvered itself to the target, which it then destroyed.

The successful demonstration brings the program a step closer toward fulfilling an urgent request to put Excalibur in Soldier’s hands by early 2006, officials said.

A cooperative effort between the United States and Sweden, the program is managed by the Program Executive Office for Ammunition with the support of the U. S. Army Armament Research, Development and Engineering Center.

Raytheon Missile Systems and BAE/Bofors Defence Systems formed a contractor team that is designing the munition.

Subcontractors include General Dynamics, Honeywell, KDI Precision Products, Interstate Electronics Corporation and EaglePicher Technologies.

A special team headquartered at Picatinny Arsenal, N.J., is managing the development effort.

(Editor's note: Information provided by a Picattiny Arsenal news release.)

Guest noonanda
"

Are they out of their bloodly minds???!!

Who in heck can afford that?

The Marines will have to "borrow" some from the Army!!!

Gad!!!

Karl

4452[/snapback]

Hell we were given all the army's "Copperheads" when they decided that they were not worth the trouble. You know what we call the copperhead in USMC Artillery. The 60,000 dollar lawn dart. You have a 60/40% chance of it actually working like it is supposed to.

There are targets you definitely want to hit the first time.

Speaking of money- I got a royal butt chewing by sending nurses home "on the cusp of preparations for hurricane Rita". We had no patients, 5 nurses. We weren't doing any preparations that afternoon. I'm told I have to hire a contract nurse, but I don't need another nurse. I can't stand wasting taxpauer (not gubmint) money. The person who chewed me up claims to care. My plans? Go back to the Reserves in a yr. I can't stand him, the tyrant, or this bureaucratic crap.

FC.

I know the feeling.

Still don't let it ruin your peace of mind.

Just do what you think is right and remember, right now, the Army needs you MORE than you need it.

A person in your profession would, I think, have little trouble finding a position on the outside.

Karl