Military Firearm Restoration Corner

M-38

TLynn

BEJ

(6/5/05 20:41)

Reply M-38

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A local gun store has a M-38 for $105. I've haven't bought a milsurp in several years. What is your opinion of the price. The gun appears refurbed and in excellent condition.

TIA for all responses.

RGRWJB

(6/5/05 21:04)

ezSupporter

Re: M-38

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They are nice refurbished guns. They are fun to shoot and a big ball of fire comes out of them.

RGR WJB

C+R Collector Gun Forums

Administrator/Owner

BEJ

(6/6/05 2:59)

Reply M-38

I'm going to buy it, regardless. It's a light, handy, powerful carbine (at least it seems like a carbine). A hundred five seems like a reasonable price.

Robert357

(6/6/05 19:03)

Reply As to $105........

Not sure of your location. Out on the West Coast we have a sporting goods chain called Big-5 that regularly sells MN's (38's, 1981/39's & 44's) for $79.99 on sale. They say that the price is really $179.99, but about once a month they put each of the three MN's on sale for the $79 price. So $105 is not a bad price (i.e. much less than $179.99), but it isn't a "great price." For that price you might want to see if they will throw in some ammo or a cleaning kit.

You are right that the 7.62 rimmed cartridge is plenty powerful. The problem with the M38 & M44 is that most of the current suplus ammo is designed for machine guns or sniper rifles and the short barreled rifles produce quite a muzzle flash.

I like the longer 1891/30 because of the longer sight radius and hence better iron sight accuracy, longer barrel and less muzzel flash, greater weight equals less felt recoil, more of them were made earlier and hence if you find one you are more likely to get one prior to Great Patriotic war material shortages and manufacturing shortcuts.

If my heart were set on either an M38 and an M44, I would opt for an M38 if I could get it manufactured prior to 1941 or an M44 if it were manufactured after the War ended and material shortages stopped.

mod70

(6/8/05 17:45)

ezSupporter

Re: As to $105........

I have a couple of m38s

One has a new looking barrel and the other's barrel shows a fair amount of use. The better looking barrel is not as accurate but both guns look great outside and are fun to shoot. I used to turn up my nose at Mosins but now find them really neat.

I would ask for $105 out the door...

• 2 weeks later...