Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Converting To 35 Whelen

britreloader

I have an action that is a 98 mauser military action. It is only the action, no barrel or stock. I want to build it into a sporter because the bolt is already turned and swept and the receiver is drilled and tapped for scope mount.

I was wondering how difficult it is to change to a 35 Whelen. The original 8mm round measures 3.25 inches where the 35 Whelen measures 3.34 inches from base to tip. This is only a difference of .09 inches. Does anyone know the measurement of a military action's magazine box and if the Whelen cartridge will fit without modification???

Also anyone have recommendations on the manufacturer of a barrel in 35 Whelen.

post-5730-125571644025_thumb.gif

post-5730-12557164476_thumb.gif

The internal length of a standard length 98 Mauser mag box is about 3.30" - 3.35". The normal length for a 30-06 length mag box is about 3.40", to give some clearance. You have a couple of options for your project.

#1. The easiest. Get a commercial hinged Mauser triggerguard. These will be the proper length. Most of them are high polish blued, but some of the newer ones have a matt finish. Stay away from the ones sold by Numrich and Sarco. I got some of them, and they are not well made. Triggergaurd bow edges were not tapered and the hinged floor plae was very loose and wobbly. Get one from either the old Mauser Mk X, the Charles Daly, or the new Remington 798.

#2. Modify an existing triggerguard. This can be done by either:

A. Filling/grinding the interior walls of the magazine box ends. You can gain about .100" this way. I have done it 3 times on hinged 1909 Argentine triggerguards. A bit tedious, but it works. An added plus, because you are also taking metal off the rear of the mag box, you are essentialy moving the cartridge to the rear. This means you will need to take less off the feed ramp later when you work on the feed ramp.(See below)

B. Cutting the front of the box off, and welding/brazing a extended piece on to increase the length. I have not done this, but I have two that have had that done to them.

You will also need to slightly increase the receiver opening for the longer cartridge. This is done by grinding a bit off the feed ramp. This will make the feed ramp flush with the front of the now lengthend mag box. Usually not more than about .100" or so.

As for barrels, lots of makers make barrels or the Mauser, and the 35 Whelen. Midway's Adams and Bennett are about the cheapest at about $90 each. Prices go up from there. A&B barrels are decent, and give good accuracy. I have used several and I have no problem with them. I have built 2 35 Whelens using them. Without working up a load, mine will do about 1 1/2" at 100 yds off the bench. The only complaint I have heard about them, is that their rifling may not be as deep at some. which may affect cast bullet shooting. But I have no personal knowledge about that.

When I built mine, I used a straight line style stock. Which turned it into a real thumper. A&B barrels are a bit on the light side for that caliber. Everytime I fired it, my teeth clicked together. I finally had to change the recoil pad to a Pachmyer Decelerator, and that cured the problem. It is a good shooting rifle now.35WhelenMauser1.jpg

Also, if you are a reloader, you can always load your bullets slightly deeper. If you do that, you won't have to do anything to your mag box.

MauserMagModification.jpg

I am a reloader so I can seat the bullets deeper with a little less powder and should be able to set this up at the same length as the 8mm.

Also what is the differences between the 35 whelen and whelen improved. what will have to be done to the barrel's chamber when assembled??

Thanks for this pics of your rifles. I will put the picture of my Remington 798 in 308 out on the web sometime soon. I am putting a Richard's microfit thumbhole stock on it but I am waiting to get it.

I am just getting into the .35 caliber for another bigger thumper. I compared it to the .338s and even know they are more popular I think I like the .35 better.

Thanks for all the info and if anyone has any loads for 35 whelen with IMR 4895 or IMR 4064.

Heres some Reloading info. I take no resposnibility for any catostrophic event which may happen if info given is misunderstood. (Sorry, save your own @ss)

Nolser: 6th edition: 225 gr bullet data: 26" test barrel

IMR 4064:

54 grains- starting load- @ 2668 FPS

58 grains- MAX LOAD- 2805 FPS

Sierra:

200gr Round Nose: IMR 4064- 26" test barrel

Starting Load: 53.6 grains- 2500 FPS

Max Load- 57.6 @ 2700 FPS

225 Gr Data

50.5 IMR 4064- @2400 FPS

Max Load- 55.5 @ 2650

Check out Reloaders Nest or Hodgons website for more data.

Brenden