Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Remington 798

britreloader

I have heard some good and bad things about the Remington 798. I purchased one after looking at one three or four times. I got one in .308 and it is an absolute tack driver. When I purchased it there were only two 308's left. When they brought me the one from the back there was a light spot on the stock and the action was very stiff. I had them give me the display and it has been a dream. Since it was the display and everyone was uneasy about these guns, (even know they are the old Interarms Mauser mark X), the bolt had been worked thousands of times and had worn in so it was like butter. I read an article in rifle magazine that the bolt clearances were so close that you would have to run it a few hundred times to get it smooth. Also I had to adjust the trigger and it is highly adjustable. The factory setting is way too heavy and unpredictable on where it will break.

Overall I think it is a good gun at a good price because I got mine new for 399.99 and that left lots of money for a Zeiss scope.

If anyone else has experience with these guns out there please let me know what you think about them.

Overall I think it is a good gun at a good price because I got mine new for 399.99 and that left lots of money for a Zeiss scope.

Then what more do you need?

They are a servicable modern mauser action. The .308 is a nice cartridge. I have an old Mk X in .308. I don't much care for the Rem stocks but that is easily rectified and largely a matter of personal preference.

I hope you get much good use and many good times out of that rifle scope combo!

I hunted with a Mark X in .270 this weekend. I bought the gun in somewhat decrepit cosmetic condition to harvest the action. It shoots about 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards with Federal Fusion ammo, so I left it alone for the time being. Given its condition, I had no qualms about taking it out in the rain this weekend. I think it will be a 30-06 sometime in the next year, minus the previous owner's name and social security no. electropenciled into the barrel and the floorplate! Meanwhile, it shoots well enough to get a deer within 300 yards. I actually think quite a lot of the Zastava actions. I think you did quite well on the price and that the gun should serve you nicely.

Clemson