Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Fn Mauser Safety Issues

pbennick

I have just received an FN Mauser rebarreled to 6.5 x 284 from a gunsmith in Oregon. The machine work looks great, but the rifle has a problem with the original mauser safety. If you can get the bolt in the safe position you are okay. If you push the safety lever over to the fire position you cannot get it back to safe.

I have looked at the safety bevel, the cocking piece, firing pin, safety lever, etc., but nothing jumps out and says change me. When I push the safety from safe to fire, the cocking piece pops forward about 1/8 inch. There is no way to put it back on safe again without removing the bolt and manually pulling the cocking piece back.

Does anyone have any ideas on what's going on? Also, are there different cocking piece lengths out there?

Thanks,

Paul

Well, all the pieces have to fit. You have something that doesn't, so I'm going to guess that either something has changed or that's not the original bolt for that receiver or the trigger is different. If the trigger is holding the hammer back, but holding it back further forward than the safety thing expects, that's probably your problem. I had a similar problem with one, and while it's been a decade or so, I seem to recall doing a little dremmel work on the safety piece to let it catch the other hammer piece.

Hopefully one of the more experienced guys will chime in.

Was the rifle doing this before you sent it off and have you spoken with your gunsmith about this?

All I can think of would be to take the bolt completely apart and reassemble it. Maybe something was mis-aligned during reassembly after the work was performed.

I purchased a receiver and had the smith barrel it for me. When I received it, it the safety would not function. I called the smith and he told me he thought I was going to replace the mil safety with an after market side swing safety. I tried the after market safety, but I had the same results: I can go from safe to fire, but I cannot get back to safe without removing the bolt and manually pulling the cocking piece back and putting it on safe.

Paul

Given your cartridge choice it's almost a given that the rifle is scoped. In that case ditch the flag safety and get a two position sideswing.

I had a swede in just yesterday that had the same problem. The shroud was one full turn short of being fully screwed in.

There are a million what ifs. But, as I said earlier, if that rifle is to be used scoped then that safety is worthless even if you fix it. Unless you have a scout mount setup on it.