Military Firearm Restoration Corner

I butchered a yugo 48 need some help

bubbamauser

I'm a little embarassed posting this one I was trying to rebarrel a 48 and tried everything I could find to get the barrel off nothing worked (relief cuts, heating, ground flats , kroil, wd 40, break free, diesel, long breaker bar, sledge) so I came up with an idea(thats how all my big mistakes usually begin) I would drill 1/8 holes into the barrel lengthwise at the action to relieve the stress, cutting the barrel off and leaving 1" exposed for the barrel vise.

who can guess what happened?

well I have the stub broken off below the action

I have tried to drill more away and it just seems to be getting worse.

Any Ideas would help

Chuck it up in a lathe gently and rut the remainder of the stub away as close to the threads as possible. Then use a dental pick to remove the vestiges of the thread from the receiver.

Relief cuts on mausers rarely work. Why, because the are SUPPOSED to bear only on the inner torque ring. Sometimes both will bear but not usually. A good solid barrel vise and a good receiver wrench will get a barrel off intact and unscarred no matter how tight. Always has for me.

This is not a slam against you so please don't take it that way but I get tired of all the piss poor advise regarding barrel removal. It doesn't require vodoo just proper tools.

• 2 weeks later...

First and foremost don’t be embarrassed, one of the advantages of posting on the net is the anonymity it offers. Don’t let this one discourage you from future projects. I botched my first one years ago twisting and destroying the receiver because of a know-it-all attitude and not having the proper tools. When I did my first there was no internet, I spent some time in a public library and finally with the aid of a friend got it out but the receiver was useless. My second project I got it out without much difficulty but had to go through a lesson from the school of hard knox on installation and headspace. Once you succesfully complete your first project the satisfaction will make it worthwhile.

If you post here looking for advice and recommendations on some good books I’m sure somebody can point you in the right direction.

Here is a link on using an easy-out, unfortunately not for use in a barrel but for a broken bolt. It might answer your question about what is an easy out. There are some plumbing sized easy outs for the old cast iron threaded pipes that might fit, whether it will work or not I can’t say.

http://www.brokentap.com/easy-outs.html