Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Help me id this gun

TLynn

Jimro

(6/28/05 14:57)

Reply Help me id this gun

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okey dokey folks,

I picked up a 65 dollar "Nagant" off the used gun rack at my local gun shop.

It's got this S inside a gear looking thing, as well as an SA in a box, and KE inside paranthisese with "arrows" growing from the middle, and SK.Y over the serial number on the barrel and the date 1934.

It's also got this weird hexagonal looking reciever that has no markings on it above the woodline, and I haven't taken it apart to see if there are any below the woodline.

It doesn't have the fine "chainsaw soft" finish of my 1942 91/30.

So what I think I have is a Finnish civil guard rifle, but I thought that those rifles had a different nomenclature than m39.

Since this rifle wasn't issued to frontline troops, and therefore has no historical value, it's a good candidate for sporterizing right?

Bubba Jimro

tommee boy

(6/28/05 15:23)

Reply Re: Help me id this gun

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll give ya 70 for it.

RGRWJB

(6/28/05 18:56)

ezSupporter

Re: Help me id this gun

It's a Finn Model 28. A rare bird. Hold on to it.

RGR WJB

C+R Collector Gun Forums

Administrator/Owner

Jimro

(6/29/05 12:11)

Reply Re: Help me id this gun

Thanks Roger,

Maybe I should go back and buy the other one so I'll have a "shooter".....

It's probably gone by now.

Jimro

Robert357

(6/29/05 15:59)

Reply Markings indicate a Sako "S in gear"

You might want to visit the following website to see what all the various markings mean. I sense that you already know what they mean from your comments.

russian-mosin-nagant...lmarks

Gunboards Dot Com

(6/29/05 16:46)

Reply http://www.mosinnagant.net/finland/MosinNagant-M2830rifle-in

It is a M28/30 - With the 1934 date and SKY marking. It is a pretty uncommon Finn and very collectable. Here is a link for more information

www.mosinnagant.net/finla...uction.asp

RGRWJB

(6/29/05 20:01)

ezSupporter

Re: http://www.mosinnagant.net/finland/MosinNagant-M2830rifl

Brent is right. I didnt read the SK.Y marking note in your message. You should go back and buy the other, they are rare and great shooters.

RGR WJB

C+R Collector Gun Forums

Administrator/Owner

Edited by: RGRWJB at: 6/29/05 20:04

Gunboards Dot Com

(6/30/05 12:37)

Reply Re: http://www.mosinnagant.net/finland/MosinNagant-M2830rifl

I bet the KE marking threw you as when I see the KE inspector marking I often think first M28 - even though KE was at SAKO for many years. I was interesting as on one trip to Finland Mr. Palokangas took Vic and I to see some original records in the archives which allowed us to see Mr. Erikson’s signature as he signed it on the original production paperwork.

user posted image

Does the rear sight base have a number? Early production rifles will and this does add to the value.

user posted image

user posted image

It is a very collectable Finn and I think the best shooting of all the Mosins - this is really the case if you handload. Of all the Finns I like the M28/30 more than any other and have a number of them in my collection.

user posted image

This is one that I really like as even the stock is numbered to the rifle. According to Palokangas this is not the norm and very rare. Of all the M28/30's this might be my favorite although the M28 upgrade to M28/30 specs is also rather high on my list - one reason is that it took me years to locate one. I also like the first year - none dated - examples of which I have three. Again nice find and snap that one up.

Director Gunboards.com And Mosin Nagant Dot Net

Webmaster Estonian Arms Dot Com

Edited by: Gunboards Dot Com at: 6/30/05 12:52

Tailgunner Dave

(6/30/05 12:56)

I sold one recently, and it sold for between 300-400 bucks, so they are worth a good chunk of money.. They do pop up every now and then like this, where the store acquires them, as a regular old Mosin Nagant "Russian Rifle".. And sells them at a standard 91/30 price.. sometimes less because they can look worn..

But, they are quite different.. They were used a great deal in Finlands Winter War, infact the worlds highest scoring sniper, Simo Haya, used an M28, as his rifle of preference, without a scope, he used only the iron sights. He made over 500 kills with his M28.

As the guys here are saying, they are very fine shooters, you won't believe the accuracy

Jimro

(6/30/05 13:30)

The rear sight base has a number, but it is much larger than the one on the photo posted.

Jimro

RGRWJB

(6/30/05 18:45)

ezSupporter

Re: http://www.mosinnagant.net/finland/MosinNagant-M2830rifl

Very nice pitures Brent. Here are a few of my pictures. Sorry for some being blurred:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

RGR WJB

C+R Collector Gun Forums

Administrator/Owner

Edited by: RGRWJB at: 6/30/05 18:46

Gunboards Dot Com

(6/30/05 19:50)

Reply Nice

The private sales are tough ones. Those photos from Finland? I notice the background - crates - people walking around and the same jacket in the photo so I assume this was at a show, shop, or collection you saw?

Jimro

(7/1/05 17:41)

Reply Re: Nice

I went back to pick up the other one, and it was gone. But I'm just happy that I got the one I did.

Jimro

RGRWJB

(7/1/05 21:11)

ezSupporter

Re: Nice

Jim

For every one that gets away, another 2 will come along.

RGR WJB

C+R Collector Gun Forums

Administrator/Owner