Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Mosin Scope Mounts / Refinishing

rivitir

I got a Mosin 91/30 a couple weeks back and I'm doing research on what others have done with their Mosins. Right now I'm still cleaning off all the cosmoline so I have time to figure out what all I want to do with it.

The problem I'm running into is I can't find a scope mount I like. I seem to find only 2 for sale, one you have to drill and tap the top front of the receiver then the back just hangs... I don't like this because I don't want to drill the top of my receiver and ruin the serial# and other markings and besides with the back of it just hanging off I doubt that's good for keeping the scope zeroed. Then the other I find is way up on the barrel and sits where the rear receiver is and looks kinda rediculious since it also has rails on each side (I'm not one for the whole tactical thing).

I want a scope mount that is solid and will hold the scope over the receiver. So far the only scope mount I've seen that accomplishes this is the ones that were made for the original sniper Mosin Nagants. Does anyone know if someone makes a scope mount like this that will hold standard modern scopes, or do you have the blueprints and I can see if I can make one???

The other question I had is I noticed that someone used a crappy cutting tool and just quickly (and VERY sloppy) cut in the serial number on the bottom of the magazine, the but plate, the bolt, and the bayonet. I guess they did that to "increase the value" of the rifle so it looked like everything had matching serial numbers... but its very obvious this was done recently. I would like to remove these crappy scratched in cuts because they make the rifle look really bad. Do you think I could easily dremel these markings off with a stone or something? The markings are really light, like scratches, if needed I can post pictures.

Lastly someone also put in a new serial number on the side of my receiver along with other markings (another stupid recent change to the rifle), these are much deeper and by far more (thankfully) professionally done then the crappy scratch cuts. Does this need to be there? Can I remove them legally? I don't care to much about them but it would be nice to restore the receiver back to its glory days.

Thanks for the help.

http://www.gswagner.com/mosin-nagant/scope/mnscope.html'>http://www.gswagner.com/mosin-nagant/scope/mnscope.html

Still not as elegant as a top mount, but with a split bridge, what else are you supposed to do?

http://www.gswagner.com/mosin-nagant/scope/mnscope.html

Folks rave about the Rock Solid mount. It's not as "graceful" as Steve Wagner's solution, but you can choose your rings. It's certainlt rigid.

http://www.gswagner.com/mosin-nagant/scope/mnscope.html'>http://www.gswagner.com/mosin-nagant/scope/mnscope.html

Still not as elegant as a top mount, but with a split bridge, what else are you supposed to do?

http://www.gswagner.com/mosin-nagant/scope/mnscope.html

Folks rave about the Rock Solid mount. It's not as "graceful" as Steve Wagner's solution, but you can choose your rings. It's certainlt rigid.

Thanks Gun Nutty, but you posted Steve Wagner's link twice, can you post the link for the Rock Solid mount you talked about? Thanks!

I do really like the Steve Wagner's link... I may try it.

This is a clip from an old American Rifleman

sleeving_action.jpg

Bear in mind that "sleeving" is soldering or brazing a tube completely over an action, with cutouts for the ejection port. This is no different than soldering an extension onto a barrel to increase its length for legal reasons. Both would be considered permanent.

Most folks consider covering serial numbers with scope bases or sights to be temporary (both the bases and sights are readily removable with simple tools). P14/M17 Enfields and Springfield '03s have the serial numbers on the top of the receiver ring; it's never been a show-stopper putting bases on the receivers.

Any "professional" serial markings on the receiver were put there by the importer; they must stay. Original M-N rifle serial numbers are not unique; my understanding is that they would reach a certain serial number, then "reset" the numbering series and start again. My memory says that this pertains to Russian arsenals. Importers are forced to renumber the rifles to alleviate this issue. My M44 only had the serial number on the barrel, and not on the receiver. The importer put the same number on the top of the receiver ring with a dimple punch outline.

Any other serial numbers (floorplate, barrel, stock, buttplate, etc.) shouldn't be a problem to remove. For level surfaces a stone would probably work. I'm sure some armorer was required by his leadership to put them there for accountability purposes. I don't think that the importer would do this. On the floorplate, my M44 has the different stamped serial number crossed-out by etching, and the correct on hand-etched to replace it. The buttplate serial number is stamped and matches the barrel serial number. As stated, this indicates something an armorer would do. As with most long-used military rifles, parts were mixed and matched during arsenal rebuilds.

Restore it its glory days? The Soviets certainly weren't concerned about fit or finish on these these rifles. I've seen M-N recievers at gunshows that looked like they were coarse-filed or whittled rather than machined. American made M-Ns were certainly the exception, but countries using these weapons seemed mostly concerned about function and utility. Other than the import serial on the receiver, your rifle just might be "arsenal pure".

I had a feeling the new serial number would have to stay, no biggie to me, I plan on either parkerizing or duracoating it anyway. The scratched in numbers just make it look crappy. I figured they did this just so they could say it was all numbered the same so they could sell it for more money or something stupid. Back when it was made I'm sure they didn't care about matching serial numbers because nothing is punched accept for the barrel... Fine by me, in 1941 they had much more important things to worry about (ie: survival).

Would you please suggest what type of stone or stones I should use? I really appreciate all the information and help by the way.

As far as the glory days comment... I meant that I want to restore it so it looks brand new.

Never done the stoning thing. That's a z1r specialty. I think it's "India stones". I'd check the board's archives; there are some tutorials for finishing actions. You'd use the same procedure.

Will do. Thanks for all the tips. When I'm done I'll be sure to post pics. ;)