Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Front Sight Removal

ronploude

A few months ago, I purchased 2 VZ24 u-fix-ums from Century and a Brazilian Mauser from Classic Arms, all were 7MM Mauser. My plan was to salvage just the actions for future builds from the VZ24's and to make a sporter with the Brazilian using the military barrel. After disassembling all three, I found deep pitting on the top of the Brazilian barrel under the hand guard. Taking a closer look at the VZ24's, I found one to have a fairly good barrel that cleaned up with bright sharp lands so I've now decided that the VZ24 would be my 7MM sporter.

I plan to replace the military sights with commercial iron sights and to drill and tap for a take off scope mount of some type. My problem is that I can't seem to get the front sight band off the VZ24. I've tried heating the sight band with a propane torch to loosen the solder but it still wont budge when tapped with a hammer. Some of the solder did seem to bubble up, however. In addition to the solder, are the front sight ramps on VZ24's press fitted?

Right on! Tap out the sight blade from the dove tail and there is a small flat blade set screw that is under the blade. Remove the screw and heat the sight band. It will slide right off.

Yeah, provided you can actually loosen the screw. Some are too buggered & rusted to remove. I've had to drill more than a few out.

Sometimes that screw gets solder wicked up into the threads as well.

Since you've already heated it and got the solder bubbling it may be even more likely.

More than once I've had to turn the screw with the torch on the sight to keep the solder liquid.

A. Tap sight blade out of dovetail

B. heat till solder liquid

C. while keeping the heat on, turn out the screw

D. " , drive the base forward off of the barrel

Best of luck

Tinker

Sometimes that screw gets solder wicked up into the threads as well.

Since you've already heated it and got the solder bubbling it may be even more likely.

More than once I've had to turn the screw with the torch on the sight to keep the solder liquid.

A. Tap sight blade out of dovetail

B. heat till solder liquid

C. while keeping the heat on, turn out the screw

D. " , drive the base forward off of the barrel

Best of luck

Tinker

Even that doesn't always work. Some are rusted solid and just won't budge. You can heat it all you want whilst TRYING to turn it with a screwdriver. Then again, some have no slot left from someone else's faild attempt. That's whe it goes to the mill to be drilled out, no muss, no fuss.

But, it is solid advice to try and apply heat and remove the screw while the solder is still flowing.

Amazing how easily some come out, drift sight, unscrew screw. While others cannot be removed even by congress. :lol: