Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Reloading Component Availability Improving

AzRednek

At least in my neck of the woods I've been able to locate some primers, powder, brass and bullets. Popular good selling bullets and brass are available but some of the odd ball stuff is still scarce or not available. Most reloading tools such as die sets and bullet moulds are available again from the biggies like Midway or Natchez. My favorite local dealer still has limits on certain items but the limits are much more generous than just 30 days ago. I didn't buy any ammo but I did see some 1 and 2 box limit signs hanging above the shelf over popular numbers such as 380, 9MM, 40, 45ACP, 357, 223 and 308. Two of my favorite powders, Bullseye and Varget had one pound limits.

Hopefully the supply will catch up soon, eventually exceed demand and competition will drive prices down. I know it is wishful thinking but bullet prices are way out of line. Copper and lead can't be that scarce. I recently bought 200 lbs of scrap lead for bullet casting at 55 cents per pound. I was literally shocked seeing a $65.00 price tag on Lyman brand 45 cal gas checks. Gas check prices are a bit better on the net but still outrageous as far as I'm concerned.

Wal-Mart here is still bare-shelved. I'm short of 380 that I never planned to reload for, but might have to change my mind.

The only thing I don't have a comfortable amount of right now is small rifle primers - I'm down to 1K, but refuse to be ggouged. I'd rather shoot a Garand in the 3-gun match :D .