Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Rom Ak-47 Wasr

spec4 e4

I have a Rom AK-74 WASR and now starting to clean it after a year of having. :blink::blink: I had to put the butt stock in the vise with pads and pull on it to get it out of the receiver. :huh: I am getting the cosmo out. My question is what is a good finish for the AK laminated stock? I was thinking of using a clear coat like I used on the toybox.

Also do I have to grease it like a Garand/M1A/M14?

Thanks

Rob

Any stock finish will look better than what they put on there. As for oiling, all I have ever done is put some break free on the bolt/carrier and a little on the rails. They probably don't even need that, but it makes me feel good.

I have also found that #2 Diesel oil works great at cleaning cosmoline off. Then spray it down with some break free and wipe it. None in the gas system.

You're already done so I guess I'm late to the party.

However, I was going to offer that you might just shellac it. The wood on most of the Commie guns I've ever dealt with were covered with a thick, tough shellac finish. Probably not to difficult to apply and tougher than a coffin nail when it hardens. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

You're already done so I guess I'm late to the party.

However, I was going to offer that you might just shellac it. The wood on most of the Commie guns I've ever dealt with were covered with a thick, tough shellac finish. Probably not to difficult to apply and tougher than a coffin nail when it hardens. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Thanks for the thought. But I was stuck in the house and nothing to do.

Rob

Only wish I'd done an AK-74, but my go-to treatment for every milsurp, regardless of wood, regardless of previous finish, regardless of how kicked-around it might be.....is a run through the diswasher on the pot-scrubber cycle with full detergent. I take it out while wet and hot and give it a day to dry out. Then scrape shellac if required (you'll know if it's covered in white goo after the dishwasher) or straight to the 150 grit if goo-less. Then 220, then 320 grit. Then wipe it down with alcohol or mineral spirits to raise the grain. 320 again to get the wiskers. If the wiskers were bad, repeat the grain raising. Sometimes I'll go to 400. After the sanding I use the cheap Minwax Tung Oil Finish from Home Depot. It usually takes 3 or 4 passes with the Tung Oil until you can look into the grain. Two passes and its about a military oil finish.