Military Firearm Restoration Corner

For All You Hog Hunters

ken98k

Brucellosis is bad news that most folks that grew up on a farm know about,and the AG classes at schools have done a good job of making kids aware of it.Tame hogs get it too,but are vaccinated for it.I have a cousin(my cousins husband)that has lyme disease from cleaning a deer,and he's been slowly dying for the last 3 years with no cure,so I'm more afraid of that than brucellosis,but both scare the devil outta me.I wonder if all the kids going through hunter safety courses now days,are warned to wear gloves when cleaning animules.Think I'll do some checking on that.Thanks for the article and wake-up call Kenny.Jerry

World is choc full of weird, viscious, nasty little microbes just waiting to attack an unsuspecting victim.

Knew a fella that got (tuleremia) not sure of spelling. Common name "rabbit fever" from a cut on his hand while cleaning rabbits. He was screwed up for the rest of his life nerve wise.

All the more reason to wear gloves when you process wild game!

A friend of mine's grandfather had brucellosis for a while and it just about killed it him. I know of a couple people who've had rabbit fever too and neither of them would wish it on anyone - even people they didn't like!

You have to be careful with nature. If you don't respect it, it'll getcha. I always wear nitrile gloves when I process deer and hogs to prevent stuff like this from happening. They're cheap, easy, and can save you a lot of agony later!

All the more reason to wear gloves when you process wild game!

I knicked my left middle finger while skinning a wolf in 1997.

Just a scratch really, didn't even bleed but it swelled up like a cucumber. looked like I was flipping the jumbo-bird all the time.

Doctor gave me a jumbo-shot of antibiotics it the butt and told me to go sit in the waiting room. Next thing I knew I was laying on the reception room floor.

I was fine after a few minutes but I had an assache for a couple days from the shot :(

I still feel like howling when the moon is full though! :)

• 1 month later...