Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Home Kits

spec4 e4

Years ago a friend of the family bought a Kit Home. Had every thing to build a house except the foundation. Every board was numbered and a set of blueprints showed were the board went and the instuctions told when to use it. All would of been fine except they lost the instructions and didn't bother to get another set (it would of cost). They built a house but it sure wasn't the same as the picture on the box. They also had some of the numbered pieces stolen from the building lot. In the end it would of been easier to just get some plans and buy the material as needed.

Swamprat

If you've built a house before and have time, tools, and knowledge go for it. You can buy several different types of houses as kits and might save quite a bit by doing the work yourself.

However, if this isn't really something you've ever had much experience with, I'd be leery of trying it.

It just depends on your level of expertise and the amount of time you have to throw at it.

Do post pictures if you do go ahead with the project please!

Well, I could build a house from lumber, but I was thinking that a home kit would be faster. I was planning on the basement being at less 8ft deep with the vault being 3 to 4 inches above the floor so if the basement get flooded, it will not go into the vault. The vault will be seal from top to bottom. And inside would be a wrap a round firearm rack. I will be getting ride of the safes. Thinking is will be a 1/3 of the basement and the outside wall will be brick or stone all the way around the rest of the 2/3. Here is a link to the company that I am looking at: http://www.valubuild.net/prefabmodularhome.asp

I would also install a tankless waterheater, plus a back up Gen. to run a everything if something happen. I don't know if it going to be a natural or propane gas. I am leaning toward propane. What do you guys think?

Rob

Well since I'm STILL trying to finish my porch project, let me say this.

Under no circumstances enter into something like this UNLESS you have AT LEAST 3 other people that you can count on

to help. Preferably they will already have skills and tools. I don't just mean a hammer. I'm talking compound miter saw,

back-hoe, nail gun, scaffolding, ladders, etc. Almost always you will want at least 1 other person working with you and

all 3 of them at times. Two people are not enough to raise a framed wall. If you have 1 friend who is a plumber, 1 friend

who is an electrician and, 1 friend who is a carpenter; then you might be good to go.

The voice of experience.

Tinker

We added a large addition on our house a few years ago. My Dad is a carpenter, so he spearheaded things and we did most of the work ourselves.

One thing that we decided on that I would highly recommend is using ICF (insulated concrete form) for your basement. The initial outlay is a bit more compared to a block wall, but it is easy for you to put up yourself and is way easier and cheaper to finish. We got the kind with metal webbing imbedded in the styrofoam. There is a vertical metal strip every 6" tied to the other side of the block to fasten your sheet rock to. When you touch the wall, it feels warm. There is a 2.5" layer of styrofoam on either side of a poured core full of rebar. We were able to backfill before the floor was installed. I pity whoever has to tear it down.

With a block wall, if you decide to finish it, you will need to strip the wall, insulate, then sheet with paneling or sheet rock. With this stuff, it is ready to sheet.

The blocks come in 2x4' pieces and have corner pieces available. There is an expanding foam that glues them together. String rebar between levels and wire it in, then stagger the next row like you would blocks. There is a system for windows also. When you pour the walls you stuff rebar vertically down the core.

If you want, you can build the whole house out of this stuff. We just used it for the basement.

I have convince my wife now. She like the idea of having about 10 or more acres. I have also convince her of a shop at the same time. Something like a 40X40 or a 40X60. That is a good size shop. LOL, I can do the shop myself, but my wife convince me that a contactor would be best for the house. She also change the house to this: http://www.valubuild.net/colonialP32x48.asp which is cheaper. As for having friends, I really don't have anyone, but I could get a cousin, my father, my wife, and I. I might get a few other here and there.

Rob

I would suggest that you go look at several (like at least 3) homes from this company that have been built from kits, and not people that work for the company. Talk to the owners/builders. You're talking a lot of money here. How complete was the kit? How good were the directions? Can someone without extensive experience build it? What tools were needed?

I, too, think you'd be better off just getting the plans you want and going from there.

I really don't care what it look like, just only I get a shop out of the deal. I have change my mind to a shop that is a 40X100 with a garage in it. It will be seal off from the shop but I will put a garage door for access. Now I am looking at a metal building for shop. LOL

Rob

This is my shop:

Shop_Today.jpg

I put it up in 2000 for about $12K total, including dozer work, the slab electrical, lights, work benches. It's 30x46. I bought it from http://futuresteel.com/ . They advertise in the NRA magazines. I'm sure prices are higher today, but still, I don't think you can put up a building for less money than that. And look at the pics of the Katrina aftermath. The only buildings still standing were these A arch steel ones.

Rob if you can, get the plans, materials list and hopefully the architect drawings are included. You might have to make your own drawings showing distance from roads, wells, power lines, water and gas pipes. Show it to whomever you need to see to apply for a building permit. I know somebody that ran into problems with a kit after the building inspector showed up. You might have to have the soil tested for its suitability to handle a septic tank before you start. When dealing with inspectors, literally kiss their asses. They can make life miserable for you. On the other hand you might get one that can advise you along the way.

Natural gas is the way to go if it can be piped in. Might cost more than what it is worth though to get hooked up to a main line.

Wish I was close enough to give you a hand, good luck with it.