Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Butler Creek Mauser Stocks

Sailormilan2

In case any one is interested, CDNN Sports(Investments) has the Butler Creek Fiberglass stocks for Mauser style rifles on sale. These are the stocks used on the Charles Daley and Remington 798 Mausers. Price is $39.99. They say that they won't fit Military 98s, but I think that is the inletting for the trigger guard/magazine. With a commercial hinged TG, they should work fine.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

The 30-06 I built a few years ago wears a Charles Daly Butler Creek stock. It's made of injection molded plastic, not fiberglass, and has taken a beating and held up well. Dimensionally, the Turkish receiver I used didn't differ enough from a the M98 Daly used to build their rifles and it fit well. I went ahead and used their button release bottom metal because an affordable 1909 Argie wasn't available at the time. Again, that fit well.

These stocks are serviceable and may be bedded with Acra-gel if you make sure and clean the mold release compound off it and scuff it up first. I'd rate them as well worth the $40 CDNN is asking for them.

Well, I have two already. One on my Mk X 30-06, and one on my son's British made 30-06 Mauser(Firearms Co of England) . I just ordered two more. CDNN has very quick shipping. I ordered two on Sunday, and they were sent on Monday, and I should have them by Friday.

One of them is going on to a trunk gun I am building. A pitted 1912 Steyr action, with a $30 Firearms Co. Alpine 30-06 barrel(curtesy of Brad D), and a pitted 1909 action, that I lengthend to 30-06 length. Barrel is D&T'd for rifle sights, and I D&T'd the action for scope mounts. Current plan is to finish the whole thing in black parkerizing, for good weather resistance. I may cover that with KG coatings Brushed Stainless Steel bake on paint. Nice hard smooth finish.

At this point I cannot decide if I should weld on a bolt handle(thiking Holland tactical for the added length), or just have it forged.