Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Talk Me Out Of It...

724wd

someone needs to tell me i DON'T need an Enfield 1917... i DON'T need a large bore DG rifle... i NEED to finish the projects i have going already...

ugh... the sickness is BAD this week!

someone needs to tell me i DON'T need an Enfield 1917... i DON'T need a large bore DG rifle... i NEED to finish the projects i have going already...

ugh... the sickness is BAD this week!

You really don't, they require much more effort to make look good than a Mauser.

What cal WERE you thinking of?

You will most likely never need a DG rifle. However need should not be part of the equaision when contemplating buy a firearm.

If you can find one at a reasonable price, and you can afford it, buy it.

the one i'm looking at already has the ears removed, quite competently, and is not drilled or tapped. the duck pond is also not filled, but as i was thinking an open sighted DGR in, oh, heck, 375 or 404 or 458, you know, the standards... it would be nice. the stock is a well laid out custom with decent wood. price is good... ugh! i'll just have to wait it out. this, too shall pass.

i had a chance at a 30S a couple of years ago. 30/06, decent shape, but someone got happy with the buffing wheel and all the letters were smeared. $300 and i passed. glad i did, too. sure wasn't as nice as the one in your pic!

i had a chance at a 30S a couple of years ago. 30/06, decent shape, but someone got happy with the buffing wheel and all the letters were smeared. $300 and i passed. glad i did, too. sure wasn't as nice as the one in your pic!

You know that I can't read yur posts. . . . . I just can't see past all that jiggling :D

You know that I can't read yur posts. . . . . I just can't see past all that jiggling :D

5 seconds more and this site would be rated "R". I have to put my thumb over her to read the posts, but damn I like it.

you need a big bore.

404 jeffery & 10.75x68mm mauser are very good calibers that do not have a lot of recoil.

i have a factory mas 36 sporting rifle in 10.75x68mm that is very light for a dg rifle but the recoil is very mild.

you might also look into some of jeffe's acc rel calibers over on the accurate reloading forum. the 500AR will fit into a standard length receiver without much trouble, but you realy need a 550 express incase a whale just happens to wander into your yard.

You NEED it, bad. Just buy it. You need it.

Think of holding it...

Buy it now.

I still have two in my safe that I need. I don't know what for, but I need them.

Mike's wrong, if you get all the junk off they look really good, but there's a whole lot to take off. Well, okay....maybe still not as good as a Mauser, but pretty good.

You need it, buy it now.

that's a terrible thing to do to a guy, brad! shoot, i need NOT to buy it! i still need to send my yugo bolt to z1r for a new handle, i need a lot more things than another project... but it's such a neat looking gun! are they CRF? do they make good DGR's?

Wow. I can't believe i missed that one, great buy! I looked at a p14 saturday. It was a 7mm mag sporterized by Centrion? (sp?). Decient looking, but i'd rather have a non-molested gun to start with. Black syn. stock painted bubba camo. $250. Should have talked to the dude some more, I WANT A .416 REM MAG BAD!!!

Build something huge on it Heath, well done.

Brenden

They make great DGRs in just about any caliber you can think of. Are you going to shoot a DG?

I'm still jealously guarding mine, getting ready to do something or other with them.

Want to see what a really slicked down action looks like with all the crapola off? If so, I'll see if I can get FC or Roscoedoh to post a pic. I never figured it out.

Brad

am i gonna shoot DG? probably not, but better to be prepared... between 404 Jeff and 416 Rigby, i'm leaning towards the 404. what says the peanut gallery?

am i gonna shoot DG? probably not, but better to be prepared... between 404 Jeff and 416 Rigby, i'm leaning towards the 404. what says the peanut gallery?

.416 Rigby

I lean more towards .416, because thats what I dream of on a P-14/17, but if your gonna do a big bore.....458 Lott, or a .460 Weatherby Mag. 500 A-Square would be impressive if one could handle the recoil...600gr bullet at almost 2400fps with over 7000 lbs of energy...may be over kill for rockchucks tho.

Brenden

well, there's big, and then there's "OW! Chit! my shoulder! my retinas!" that's why i was leaning towards the .404.

why the .416, if you don't mind me asking...