Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Looks Like We're Getting A Good Property

FC

I'm going to Ft. Gordon, GA this summer. My wife and I looked at Realtor.com and found a good place. We're buying it on basis of the inspection, pictures, and video only, since we live more than a fer piece from there. We'll move to the Aiken, SC area. I've never been in that area of the country. Custom built home in 94 that has an A-frame shape in the middle of the home, two car attached garage, three car detached garage (think wood shop!), a two car steel building, and a older mobile home rental trailer on four acres. $242,000- not bad! People in Hawaii choked on that price, because it would buy an old condo here. We're looking forward to it, and are trying to finalize the loan paperwork. The guy tried to sell for 2 years at $300,000, but gave up. We beat out two other interested parties. http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/364-Outing-Club-Road_Aiken_SC_29801_1103866734

Best of luck on the house Tony! I've been in my hew home for about three and half months and love! (And I REALLY don't want to do this again any time soon either!)

If you close before ~May 31, I think you're still eligible for the home buyer's credit. You're realtor should be able to advise.

Glad all is working out for you man. Congrats!

Jason

It looks like the land of milk and honey! I feel blessed by Providence.

Karl, it's only four acres. I'd love to have my own range, but wonder about the laws, and how the neighbors would feel? Maybe an indoor pistol range for a .22 pistol in that 3 car garage? It would be pretty quiet.

Jason, I'm glad you enjoy your new place. I heard about that credit, but we won't have 36 months without a home. I wonder how picky that rule is?

It's been 25 years since I've been in Aiken but I doubt it has changed that much. Should still be a small town with a slow pace of living. I think you will like it. I would love to move back to SC and hope to do so when I retire.

Best of luck to you Tony on your move.

I'm about four hours away in Charlotte. Clemson is aobuttwo and a half hours from ya.

Vlad

Sounds really good, Tony. I'm sure it will be fine, but you got some gonads to blow a quarter million bucks without looking in person. I guess I'm just weird that way.

I think they did expand the tax credit a lot. I think I heard even 2nd homes were getting tax money back, so check into that.

We're having several inspections: VA, our inspector, a well, and a septic inspector. The inspections came out pretty good, except for some spots of rot on the cedar siding, and a couple double-pane windows needed repair. The guy is fixing it all. Barbara's parents from Kentucky were going to look at it for us, but they're elderly, and it kept snowing. Guess what $242,000 would buy here in Hawaii? An old condo! I saw CPT Crunch for sale at Safeway yesterday for $6.48 per box!

The guy selling the place tried to sell for $300,000 for two years without luck. He dropped the price and two other people were on it right away. Figured we'd better move quick. Guess the guy wanted to sell to military, so he didn't entertain other offers.

Guess what Dr. Hess- the realtor said there's a car lift in the garage! I sure hope so! I know you're a car fan.

It sounds like it's been "vetted" then. So to speak. Cool on the lift. I'd like to have one myself. Our club just bought one brand new, never installed for one large for the clubhouse from one of our club members who bought it (in Texas) and never put it up. 4 poster. They usually go for about $2000-3500.

• 3 weeks later...

Guess what Dr. Hess- the realtor said there's a car lift in the garage! I sure hope so! I know you're a car fan.

Sorry I'm late reading this thread. Congrats on the new home. Try to avoid letting your homeowners insurance know about the lift. The insurance co will fear liability either from you operating a business or allowing friends and neighbors use it.

Good to know.

We're closing on it next week. The boss, who signed my PCS leave form, pulled it back and is allowing less time (darn it). Barbara will move earlier though. I hope "the boys" (our two dogs) do okay on the plane. The silky has to go cargo, and I'm worried about pressurization, heat, and cold in the cargo section. Any experiences?

I'm worried about pressurization, heat, and cold in the cargo section. Any experiences?

Ya, get them outside the terminal before letting them out of their kennels.

Usually the first thing they'll do is a big bowel movement they've been holding for hours.

We closed on the property yesterday. Barbara's parents spent the night there. She said they were so excited about the place they were talking over each other! They said we'll love it. Found out there's not a car lift, but there is an oil change pit. Would have been nice to have a lift, but hey, an oil change pit is nice too!