Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Model Of 1917 Barrel Thread Diameter

Harrisbg

Today I talked to Pac-Nor Barrels about a pre-threaded barrel blank for a Model of 1917 Remington action that I want to build into a 6.5-'06 A.I.. I thought it would be a pretty straight forward order, but they asked me to measure the thread diameter, and the diameter of the barrel ahead of the threads to see if they need to use a larger diameter barrel blank. I don't have the barreled action in my hands, I am collecting parts while the funds are available before I dig the rifle out of storage. This is my first rebarreling project on a 1917 action.

Does anyone have the dimensions handy?

Thanks,

Byron

The rifle I'm starting with was sporterized by BSA. It has the stacked arms logo on the rear receiver bridge where the sight ears used to be. The chamber closes on a No-Go gauge. Case life is very short. I've heard that these rifles were originally marketed through Herter's.

Is it a good practice to magnaflux the action after removing the old barrel? There is quite a bit f conflicting information on the Model of 1917.

-Byron

Yes.

Many 1917 enfields were made of very hard steel and the barrels were instilled very tightly by machine.

So many receivers cracked when the barrels were replaced.

In short, if the barrel does not say 1917 or 1918 have the receiver checked.

Karl

Yes.

Many 1917 enfields were made of very hard steel and the barrels were instilled very tightly by machine.

So many receivers cracked when the barrels were replaced.

In short, if the barrel does not say 1917 or 1918 have the receiver checked.

Karl

This is really only an issue with Eddystones.

Is it a good practice to magnaflux the action after removing the old barrel? There is quite a bit f conflicting information on the Model of 1917.

-Byron

Dip it in gasoline. If cracked, the crack will show up as a wet line when the receiver is wiped dry.

If the rifle was only "sporterized" and has the original, military barrel, then there probably aren't any cracks.

My understanding is that the cracks form when removing the barrel (a very tight one).

Just cut a relief in the barrel just forward of the receiver/barrel junction. That should allow easy removal. If the cut is narrow enough, you might even be able to recycle it for another project.

If you are doing the rebarrel yourself, grind a bit to cut the threads just a couple thou thinner than necessary. I memory serves me, it is ten per inch, so grind a bit at 48 thou. Use it to cut the relief. Done right, that should put the old barrel in the reusable category.

When threading the new barrel, plunge straight in with the bit. Then with the top slide set at a right angle to the crossfeed, enlarge the space between the threads one thou at a time until the barrel fits. Remember that the square threads will not self center like a vee thread, so cut the major diameter to be a snug fit in the minor diameter of the receiver. (Pac Nor's biggest hinderance to a quality job on a square thread is that they can only cut the major diameter to spec.)

All this is easier than it sounds, and square threads are not the problem some folks make them out to be. Take time making your bit, and the rest falls into place. LL