Military Firearm Restoration Corner

1939 Tula MN1891/30

TLynn

Robert357

(6/4/05 23:27)

Reply 1939 Tula MN1891/30

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 1939 Tula MN1891/30. I reload near full power 180 grain jacketed bullets for it and reduced load cast lead (with gas check) bullets as well.

I have been thinking cutting out some wood out of the handguard to more free float the barrel and I have a glass bedding kit that I might use as well.

Every time I get the urge to try to improve it, I say to myself, that hey, this is a real piece of history and that trying to modify a $79 rifle is not really where the effort should go. That is, if I want to play amature gunsmith, I should find a nice old mauser that someone chopped up and use it as a base.

So, what are your thoughts on your MN?

sonic1

(6/5/05 7:53)

Reply Re: 1939 Tula MN1891/30

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

not every mil.surp gun needs to to be sported but,, there are a lot of these gun out there that are in bad shape and priced cheap,,i got 2 mn for $37.50 each just to work on and in no way feel bad about cutting them up..if you feel that your gun is just to nice in it original form then don"t..this is

something only you can decide on.. just my to cents others here have different ideals

Tailgunner Dave

(6/8/05 22:17)

Well I have to come down on the side of.. Do It!.. I have done it to a couple of rifles of mine, just to see if it would make them better..

One a 91/30 Ishevsk.. I free floated the barrel, and epoxy bedded it, installed a MN sniper mount, with a modern PO scope.. welded a bent bolt handle on.. and finally got it out to shoot it.. And... Yes, it shoots real nice, very tight groups at 50 yds.. in about an inch. Have not had it out to the 100 yet.

The other gun, an M39, I did just about the same thing to it, and it is a great shooter.. I have been using military ammo, czech silver tip, albanian, etc. At the 100, this gun could put tight groups inside a 3 inch shoot and see.. No rounds going outside the black..

I would like to recrown these guns, as I have not done that yet. So, yea, it does help to hotrod em a bit, while maintaining the original look.

sonic1

(6/9/05 16:26)

heres one i restocked and played with the bolt

img.villagephotos.com/p/2...C-006S.JPG

Tailgunner Dave

(6/10/05 10:06)

Nice work! Yours looks nice close up, I don't have the nerve to post a closeup of mine, But, here's some at medium range..

user posted image

Karlunity

Guardian of the Eastern Shores

(6/12/05 9:25)

Gentlemen, I stand in awe.

You are artists.

Karl

ShooterTom1

(6/12/05 17:20)

Tailgunner, Those are nothing to be shy about. They look good.

Tom

"If you cannot dazzle them with brilliance, Confuse them with Bulls**t"

sonic1

(6/13/05 14:07)

yes dave takes a lot of nerve to post anything here. but i say thanks for sharing your pixs.

Tailgunner Dave

(6/13/05 17:18)

O gosh thanks guys! Truth is, these bolts are among the easiest to weld up.. The Mosin bolt comes apart easily and the part with the bolt handle on it is seperate from the locking lugs.. So, there is really no heat issues to worry about.

So if you want to start welding bolts, these Mosins are good projects to start off with.

grumpy64

(6/26/05 14:46)

I have a Tula 91/30 whic I decided to take out of the wood furniture. I put it in an ATI MonteCarlo Stock. I been told I screwed up but the gun still shoots 3 inch groups at 100 yds.

Good enough for me.

I put a LER scope on it - 2x7x32mm. I also added a bent bolt by James (The Bolt Man) Roberts.

Most recently this has been my "Hog Gun" but it has performed well as a deer getter. I have found that the light ball ammo works better than the heavier.

user posted image

user posted image

Tailgunner Dave

(6/27/05 21:36)

Nice looking piece, interesting looking bolt weld too! Poor hogs wont stand a chance!

Walnuthead

(7/2/05 8:09)

Dave - the third rifle down. Is that scope mount on top of the receive? If so where did you find it?

Tailgunner Dave

(7/2/05 10:24)

That is a piece of Weaver Rail Mount... just the stock stuff.. I had to drill the holes in it. You can buy it in varrying heights from Midway or, I am sure Brownells. I think Midway has some of it on closeout right now.

I had to use this stuff.. Because I acquired this M39, as a friends project rifle gone.. slightly..errrghh.. Shall we sa Awry!

He had drilled and tapped the holes in the receiver crooked, and of different sizes! So, no standard Mosin mount could work.

He did'nt want the gun anymore, so he gave it to me, I thought I could do something with it.. So, I got this stock, drill it yourself mounting stuff.. And it brought the gun back..

TGD

I definately like the looks of those rifles. As far as sporterizing them is concerned I have always felt that whatever makes a rifle more suitable for the person using it is never a bad thing. Of course, some folks are into keeping them origianal so to speak, but when you consider the millions of them around, there are plenty for all of us. As I said in my post on the sportered 91/30, these are amoung my favorite rifles. I started out with my first sporter on a 1912 chilean mauser on which I sanded the stock too much when cleaning it up. Learned real quick how much wood was too much to remove!! After a few other projects I found my way to the MN's and soon formed a real love for their simplicity and strength.

Anyway, just wanted to say that I liked the work that you guys have done of these rifles. Dave

The ones that call to you when you first see them are the rifles that need no

alterations. Those are usually the most perfect of the milsurps. All the rest are

deer in the headlights in my book. You all are doing a fine job, keep up the good work. By the way, Swamp Thing, you learned a lot from that sandpaper, I'm

proud of you. Your Brother, Tinman.