Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Can It Be Done

Paul Stuart

Hello annointed ones!!!!! Im a total newby so be patient but I have some questions about my newly aqcuired 8 mm oberndorf 98. I want to build a .308 from it but Ive been told by some that the action is to long. I see .308 mausers all over the place but dont know if there is a certain type of 98 to use or if all will make a good .308. I have a 270 but would like a super accurate rig with little recoil. If I cant do a 308 what would be a good alternative that would shoot flat,accurate and be able to find ammo easily? Im a hunter wanting it for white tail and mule deer. Im not a bench shooter if that is any help. I thank you for all your infinite wisdom. If needed I can post pics

Thanks

Paul S

P.S It has a 5 digit serial # and a 44 stamped on top of the receiver which I think means the make year if that helps any

first off, welcome! and don't worry about your action being "TOO" long. lots of .308's have been built on full length mausers with fine results. the typical solution for this recipe is to use a magazine block or spacer. at the front or back (if it were me, i'd do the back) a block is placed or welded to reduce the length of the mag box. you will also need a shortened follower and mag spring. i bought a kit from numrich years ago but was not happy with it. i have the follower/spring if you want them. the block was chopped for another project. the follower is some type of plastic, which is probably why i didnt like it. like i said, you can have them if you want them. you'll have to pay attention to the feeding of the .308 rounds, as they have a different taper than the feed rails were designed for. it way work super slick as is, or it might require some work to get to feed reliably. screw on a new tube, headspace and hit the range!

first off, welcome! and don't worry about your action being "TOO" long. lots of .308's have been built on full length mausers with fine results. the typical solution for this recipe is to use a magazine block or spacer. at the front or back (if it were me, i'd do the back) a block is placed or welded to reduce the length of the mag box. you will also need a shortened follower and mag spring. i bought a kit from numrich years ago but was not happy with it. i have the follower/spring if you want them. the block was chopped for another project. the follower is some type of plastic, which is probably why i didnt like it. like i said, you can have them if you want them. you'll have to pay attention to the feeding of the .308 rounds, as they have a different taper than the feed rails were designed for. it way work super slick as is, or it might require some work to get to feed reliably. screw on a new tube, headspace and hit the range!

For what it's worth, I was recently considering building a 308 on a 98 action. Wound up doing a 35 Whelen instead, but to the point, I tried the function of 308's through the action and had no problem at all with feeding. I haven't finished the Whelen yet, but hope I have the same success with it feeding, but I bet I won't.

Good luck,

Bill

Welcome Bill!

I have a Mauser 98 in .308 that came by way of Israel. It has no mag block and feeds fine.

Between my one son and I, it has taken 4 deer. Right now it is in pieces in my shop for a remodel

job while my son is in college he can't get off for hunting.

I'm sure yours will come out fine.

Now if you want a bit more challenge (feeding wise) try a 7.62X39 on a 98 action.

I built 2 of those on 03 Turk intermediate actions. I've used the shorter barreled one with a .308

bore for the last 2 years and took a deer both years. The other one has a .311 barrel. The ammo I have

is loaded up with .308 bullets, so the .308 bullets go with the .308 bore. If I run into ammo with .311

bullets,I'll give the other one a try.

Tinker

Thanks guys!! As I said before the only reason I wanted the 308 was for accuracy and low recoil. What would be another type of round I could go with that would work in a long action and retain low recoil but have high accuracy. Im really not even to worried about the recoil but I just want something that I dont dread shooting but has potential to be a tac driver. Maybe a 25-06, 7x57,or a 6.5x55?

7x57 and 6.5x55 both have fantastic reputations for killing beyond their capabilities and low recoil. the other bonus is either will feed like sh!t through a goose in your 98!

Thats good to here. I thank you guys again for the info. I was raised by a collector of pre 64 model 70s and most of the rifles I cut my teeth on were belted magnums and a .270 was a smaller cal in my house so these caliburs are a little foriegn to me. I just wanted something that shot fast and flat but would drop a muley pretty easy. This wont be my last project Im afraid.

Thanks

Paul S

Guest BradD

Paul, if you should decide to go with 308 and a magazine block (easy to do) you can simply use a Rem 700 short action or Winchester M-70 short action follower and spring, all available from Brownells. They fit and work just fine. Plug 'em in.

Actually, I think Brownells sells some kind of mag block but I didn't go back and look. It's just an L shaped piece of sheet metal that fits in the back of the mag.

Brad

The most popular small bore I'm asked to make is the 6.5x55. The 7x57 is also a very easy conversion, in fact, it can be a tad easier than the 6.5 which is pretty simple itself.