Military Firearm Restoration Corner

1/4 - 22 Tap & Die, Broken Screw

tinkerfive

Hey all, I don't have anything against Brownells in fact I may end up going with them.

I've got 2 receivers with the front guard screws broken off. I didn't do it!

I drilled through them at just about the minor thread diameter and tried EZ-outs without success.

I was thinking that if I could get the tap started in the original thread that I could tap out the

remains of the screws.

So I was wondering if there was another source out there. Surprisingly Midway doesn't seem to have them,

at least not that I could find on line. I found some less expensive alternatives around $14 but not

both tap and die from the same supplier so if I want both there is S&H X2. That kind of negates getting

both from Brownell with 1 S&H.

One die was around $7.

If you guys know of another alternative supplier, please let me know.

If you want to know what I've found, I'll get my notes together and post them.

If you can think of another way to get out the remnants of the screws, please let me know.

Tinker

Without looking at your exact situation, it's hard to say. I've probably only successfully used an easy out once in 30+ years of wrenching. Unless you have almost all of the broken screw out, I wouldn't try a tap on it. I'd try putting the receiver in a vice and if you can get a piece of it, put a small punch on what's in there and try tapping it out by aiming the punch tangentially.

Given that the old screws are broken off and the easy out didn't work, I'm gonna say it's stuck in good. Let it all soak really well with PB blaster or maybe ATF/acetone mix, which seems to be teh kraze on teh webz these days, y0, then try going very easy with the easy out and/or the punch again. You may have to helicoil it when you're done, one way or the other. I don't even know if they make helicoils in that TP. And if you had to tap it, you'd likely need two taps, a plug and a bottoming.

Tough problem.

A friend collected old Jap rifles. Most have screws rusted in place, so I have a bit of practice at this. Dial it in on a mill, take a carbide end mill and make a flat. Recheck the dial, then hog it out to the screws minor diameter. Use something similar to a dental pick to clean the hole out. Yes, it is tedious and a pita. LL