Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Cremation Or Burial - Pets

724wd

Looks like my ol' mutt Copper is fading pretty quickly. he stopped eating and drinking a couple days ago and anything he has tried to eat has come back up. he's close to 12 and been a good dog. i'm contemplating what to do with him when he inevitable happens in the next couple of hours or days. my family has a history of burying our dogs and planting a tree over them. i live in town, but have a spot on the side of the house he could stay undisturbed. not sure what pet cremation costs or where to have it done...

any of you have experience with this?

heath

Yeah, I've had to deal with it. It sucks. A lot, and I feel for you.

Smaller pets like cats, I usually bury. My dogs are 60 lbs and up, and to dig a hole that size in Arkansas requires a backhoe to move the boulders. The local county animal shelter will do creamations for about $100, +/- depending on size and if you want the ashes back. The shelter near League City, TX when we lived there did the same. I'm gonna guess your local shelter will as well, or know who does. I've got a 12 year old too. She's tough, but, I'm looking at the same thing, just not sure when.

Looks like my ol' mutt Copper is fading pretty quickly. he stopped eating and drinking a couple days ago and anything he has tried to eat has come back up. he's close to 12 and been a good dog. i'm contemplating what to do with him when he inevitable happens in the next couple of hours or days. my family has a history of burying our dogs and planting a tree over them. i live in town, but have a spot on the side of the house he could stay undisturbed. not sure what pet cremation costs or where to have it done...

any of you have experience with this?

heath

When the times comes, do the right thing and don't let a friend suffer.

It is hard but honor requires it.

I would say,if possible to bury him at home with a few doggy toys.

Take care

Karl

I am sorry to hear that a close friend is at the end of his journey. Your vet can handel this task for you if you need to end his suffering.

I have gone bolth ways. I burried my German Wirehair out back were her house was. The house pets (several cats and a dog) were cremated. The rule that my wife and I have is that the first of us to go is cremated. The ashes of all pets and first to pass are burried with the suriver when the time comes.

I will keep Copper in my prayers.

Ralph

Heath I feel for you man, know exactly what you're going through. I let my vet handle it for me. I picked up the ashes about a week later and best I remember it was about a hundred till the wife ordered a fancy urn with the ashes. My neighbor buried his Collie and years later regreted the location after having his sewer line dug up. Keep your plumbing or any undergroud cables in mind on the side of your house.

I've had to deal with this a couple of times and due to financial constraints and zoning had the vet handle it. I do remember my room mate and I burying a friends beagle in a forest in the good old FRG on one rainy night. Best part was we were able to find his son a Beagle pup a few weeks later. They are our best friends and unselfish in their loyalty

BTDT many times over the years. No easy way, it just sucks, and the pain of the loss can only be offset in time by the joy of the memories.

Been in this house over 30 yrs. If this lot is ever excavated someone will believe a satanist lived here.

• 2 weeks later...

724, I feel your pain, although we have become cat people in our old age.

When old Sam died in 2000 we had him cremated and spread his ashes in the Klamath River. Cost about $125.

When Buster (only 4) our boy bengal cat suddenly fell ill in '04 and couldn't make it we buried him on a hillside here and bought him a little cat headstone. $75 for a headstone.

When each had to go we went in with them and held their paws until they passed. I don't know, but it seemed like it mattered a lot to them, although it was heart wrenching for us. How could you do any less for such great friends and family members?

Tough call what to do, but each of these creatures gave up their "animalness" to be a part of our lives and to be a part of our families and they would have died for us if they had to.

You never stop loving them. It's strange.

Brad

thanks all. it sucks to lose a friend, but i know it was the right thing to do. i was going to bury him, but when the vet came and did his deal, he just kinda scooped him up and put him in a sack. i asked what's up, and he said he would take him to be cremated. fine, i said, as i probably couldn't have dug a hole anyway with all the tears. been a week and a half now, so i called to find out where my dog was. "oh, he was cremated and disposed of." say huh? so for $150 i got jack s#it. maybe i should have known that before i let him take him away...

I can feel for you. I am not looking for the day that I have to put down Lady. My dog that found me at work on day when I was working at the block company in Laural, Md. She was full of lices, ticks, and fleas. She was near death and I nurse her back to health. I tried to find the owner, but no luck. Tired to put in a shelter but they would have killed her. I take her in and made her my own. After many years, I left her with my mother when she was sick, just to have someone there. My enjoy Lady. Once she is passed, I am going to be cremated and buried with me. She is a great dog. I could not repalce her and never be another Lady. I guest it like that with everybody with dogs.

Rob