Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Mauser Bolt Disassembly Help Needed

AzRednek

Anybody have any tips or advice on tearing down a commercial Mauser bolt without a wing safety? My Santa Barbara and JC Penny's Mausers only have trigger safeties and I'm a bit perplexed trying to figure out how to get the bolts apart and reassembled for cleaning.

SB-1.gif

Anybody have any tips or advice on tearing down a commercial Mauser bolt without a wing safety? My Santa Barbara and JC Penny's Mausers only have trigger safeties and I'm a bit perplexed trying to figure out how to get the bolts apart and reassembled for cleaning.

Some commercial bolts have a hole that you put a nail or similar pin through. I use a pair of parallel jaw pliers (from Brownells) to pull back on the cocking peice while unscrewing.

Thx Ken, unfortunately I can't find a hole on either one of them. Years ago I tore the bolt down on my Voere Mauser by pinching a piece of leather between the cocking piece and vice grip jaws. Been apx 20 years ago and best I remember it didn't work to well. I might just run by Harbor Freight and see if they have some cheapie parallel jaw pliers. Being the cheapskate I am don't want to shell out 35 bux for decent ones from Brownells.

FOUND IT!! Thx again. I was looking for the hole with the bolt in the up position. With the bolt cocked using a flashlight I could see the light sneaking through. I put a tiny drill bit in the hole, opened up the bolt and it worked like a charm. I strongly encourage anybody doing it with a small drill bit, wear safety glasses. The first bit broke, didn't shatter but the next one might.

Guest BradD

Hi AZ,

What I've always done, whether with the hole or not (commercials have hole, militaries no), is to hook the trigger sear on the cocking piece on the edge of my bench, push down until the cocking piece clears the back of the shroud and slip a penny into the opening. Unscrew the firing pin assembly, push down on the pin (nose on the bench), and rotate the cocking piece 90 degrees and remove the penny and the cp.

That's what ya' gotta do when you have a commercial shroud and a military (non hole) cp. Reverse it to reassemble.

Brad

FOUND IT!! Thx again. I was looking for the hole with the bolt in the up position. With the bolt cocked using a flashlight I could see the light sneaking through. I put a tiny drill bit in the hole, opened up the bolt and it worked like a charm. I strongly encourage anybody doing it with a small drill bit, wear safety glasses. The first bit broke, didn't shatter but the next one might.

An unbent paper clip works nice.