Military Firearm Restoration Corner

J&g Did It Again

AzRednek

While attending the recent gunshow the J&G sales people caught me, ganged up on me, held me down, twisted my arm behind my back and tickled my feet. I had no choice but to say "uncle" and was forcibly persuaded to buy an Argie Hi-Power.

Unfortunately the West German surplus Sigs they had are all gone. I didn't get a chance to see any of the Mausers up close. The Rusky captured K98 looked brand new from a few feet away. J&G's table is usually swamped with AK buyers and I couldn't get close to their rifle table.

Apx 330 out the door. The grips are a bit cheezy and it does show some holster wear. After cleaning off all the gobily goo it was packed in. It shows very little use, hardly any wear on the rails and the chrome bore is very bright and shiny. The best thing, it is all steel, no Tupperware frame on this Browning classic.

It doesn't have the sex appeal of a highly polished Belgium Browning with walnut grips but it will shoot just as straight. Scored a deal on two mags at the show for only 5 bux a piece. The mags are unmarked after market but for only 5 a piece no complaints out of me.

AAARGIE-2.jpg

AAARGIE-1.jpg

That looks good, and a bargain too. If I needed another handgun, like I need another hole in my head, I'd seriously consider one of those.

Doc if I quit buying guns based on need. I would have stopped years ago. My argument has always been, some men collect stamps, coins, cars or hats. I collect guns. I surely didn't need it. To big for concealed carry or my car's center console. I have super accurate revolvers better suited for target shooting but I just had to have it.

Just no way I'd pay the price of a new Browning. I've always wanted a real Browning Hi-Power since I purchased my first handgun in 1971. So this past weekend I settled for 2nd best, An Argie mfd. In 71 I had narrowed my choices down to a Hi-Power or Colt Series 70. The Hi-Power was about 20-30 bux more so I got the Colt. Back in 71 Browning's 14 rd double stack mag was an oddity and it's best sales feature. Today the double stack mags are the norm, even in compact models.