Military Firearm Restoration Corner

6.5X55 Vs 260 Rem

applestrudel

first off Im new here and a relative mauser noob

ive got a few mausers in original condition all in 8x57

but i have a turk 93 that is a good candidate for sporterizeing.

I originally wanted to chamber it in 260 remington but ive read that

it may not be safe in my action but 6.5x55 has similar performance in a

safer package. I wanted to know the experts opinion on this. thanks

Md 93 Mausers were originally chambered for the 7x57.

Operating pressure for 7x57 is 46,000 CUP which is at or about 50,000 PSI.

SAAMI pressure level of the 6.5x55 is also 46,000 CUP.

SAAMI standard pressure for the 260 rem is 60,000 PSI.

With safety first as the first rule of anything to do with firearms, If it was me doing this build it would be chambered in the venerable 6.5x55.

JM2C

Welcome to the group!

If it was me I would probably go with the 6.5x55 just because its one of those rounds that have been around for a very long time and its a very good shooting round. I didn't even think about it but Pacrat is right, watch those pressures when comparing cartridges.

Pacrat,

Are you a Moderator here?

Just curious... I've seen the same name elewhere.

No Karl, not a moderator here nor on the MC forum. Just a transplanted hillbilly from the Ozarks who lives in Commyfornia and has poltical views that often parallel your own. ;)

wow! I was always under the impression that the older cartridges were somehow inferior to the more modern loads in terms of accuracy.

No Way Dude, Accuracy is all about consistancy not velocity. Yes, more modern higher pressure/velocity cartridges shoot flatter but not necessarily more consistantly.

No Way Dude, Accuracy is all about consistency not velocity. Yes, more modern higher pressure/velocity cartridges shoot flatter but not necessarily more consistantly.

I haven't had a crony in years to compare velocity. With all my reloads, the shot to shot accuracy is much more consistent when I load below the published max. I've found my most consistent reloads are usually between 5-10% below max. I haven't had any experience with the 6.5X55 but I know it is a favorite among several of our members that could likely provide you some good reloading data.

Welcome!!! Keep the questions coming.

wow! I was always under the impression that the older cartridges were somehow inferior to the more modern loads in terms of accuracy.

The Mauser people new what they were doing when they designed their cartridges.

The common military Mauser cartridges, 8x57, 7x57, 7.65x53, and 6.5x55 are all excellent performers.

I wish there was more info available for the the 6.8x57. I'd be willing to bet that one would be great choice for big game.

Today I posted on deals page about 6.5x55 Mauser barrels from Kimber, cut down to 22" and there are a half dozen or so on Gunbroker.com. It should fit most small ring threaded Mausers with little alteration, including a 93 Turk.

Spiris

• 3 weeks later...

His name was Bell, I think Karamojo Bell. He did in fact use the 6.5 Mannlicher till he had one bend on the skull of one of the elephants he shot. He had to use a second shot to finish it off and as a result switched to my other favorite rifle, the 7X57. Man had no nerves at all! Would shoot the first elephant dead then get up on it and shoot the rest as they came to the aid of their downed fellow elephant. Cold but efficient. 6.5X 55 is the nicest shooting gun I have ever owned.

His name was Bell, I think Karamojo Bell. He did in fact use the 6.5 Mannlicher till he had one bend on the skull of one of the elephants he shot. He had to use a second shot to finish it off and as a result switched to my other favorite rifle, the 7X57. Man had no nerves at all! Would shoot the first elephant dead then get up on it and shoot the rest as they came to the aid of their downed fellow elephant. Cold but efficient. 6.5X 55 is the nicest shooting gun I have ever owned.

All I hear in this and other groups is praise for the 6.5X55 but using it for dangerous game (like a wounded elephant) is way beyond foolish.

My first wife's family farmed an area in northern Arizona. They homesteaded the land right after WW1. There were so many Elk in the area, they were considered a nuisance. The Elk ate and destroyed crops, horny bull Elk would try to mount and often injured horses and cattle. Most of the Elk they killed were shot with 22RF. They aimed for the Elk's eye at close range and it usually dropped. Don't know how far the stories were exaggerated over the years. The X's family claimed many farmers and ranchers were seriously injured after being attacked by a wounded Elk. Years ago I saw the aftermath of a totaled VW Beetle that was attacked and rolled over by a wounded and po'd Elk. The rumor mill claimed the Elk took a shot in his snout from a GI 45.

• 1 year later...

I just built a 6.5x55 for a good friend this summer. He'll be taking it hunting this deer season and I want to see how it does on game. On paper it shoots really good. I'm really curious about the 6.5 caliber, with the high sectional density, and high ballistic coefficient bullets, I think it'll be a real go getter. I really want to build a 6.5-06 Ackley, or a 6.5x55 Ackley for myself.

• 9 months later...

The last deer I shot was with the 6.5x55 Swede. It was with 139gr Privi Partisan, and it destroyed the near shoulder and went out the back side leaving a 1.5" exit wound.

I never would have found the bullet so I didn't even look.

6.5 Swede is probably my favorite hunting cartridge bar none.

The .260 case has less taper than the 6.5x55 and will probably give you feeding problems. It's larger diameter in the shoulder area and tends to bind in the magazine at that point. It can be made to work, but why bother. The 6.5x55 is ballistically so close that the game will never know the difference. That said, I once got a .243 to feed well by substituting a Remington magazine follower and spring for the Mauser parts and installing a spacer in the rear of the magazine box. You probably wouldn't need a spacer with the .260. It worked on that rifle, but I don't think you can count on it to work every time. I think it was more luck than sense that time. L. O. G.