Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Using Locktite On Loose Primers

I just tried it on some once fired Canadian mil-surp 30/06. The ammo dated from 49-56 came on Garrand clips. Even though it is boxer primed the primer pockets will not hold a .210 large rifle primer tightly. I tried several different brands of large rifle primers and they all just fall out. Using Locktite I seated a batch and let them sit over night. I de-capped them today and they were a bit difficult to remove. I used the medium grade Locktite. Having to much time on my hands I loaded a dozen with Locktited primers. I started with very mild loads and worked up to one grain below published max. Hope it works or the brass goes along with aluminum cans to the scrap dealer.

Have any of you tried using Locktite on loose primers?? Can you still see out of both eyes?? :D

Just the thought of it severely increases the old pucker factor. :o

A primer cup serves 2 functions. One is to of course hold the primer pellet and anvil in place until struck and activated by firing pin. The second and IMO most important from a safety standpoint is to act as a seal to keep that 50,000+ psi surge of hot gas pressure inside the cartridge case instead of loose in the bolt ways which is in a direct line with your face. I would much prefer putting faith in 140 yrs of firearms engineering rather than a drop of glue.

Please smash em with a hammer and drop em in the scrap bucket.

SAFETY FIRST

There is a swedge tool for reforming primer holes in once fired brass boxer brass.

I do not remember the name of the company that makes the tool but with the price of brass if there is a way to salvage the brass properly I think it would be worth it

I encourage caution using primers held in place with locktite.

It might be something you could do in a survival situation using short loads but being safe is far better than being sorry.

AZ,

THROW THEM AWAY!!!!!

I'll send you some 06 brass if you need it.

Brad

Thanks for the offer but I have enough decent 06 brass on hand. I have to admit to being bored and thought of it as an experiment but came to my senses. I pulled the powder and slugs and dumped it into once fired US GI brass. The Locktite after having two days to cure really held the primers in tight but it is not worth the risk.

There is a swedge tool for reforming primer holes in once fired brass boxer brass.

I tried using the RCBS swedge tool. It swedged the primer crimp to the correct size but the pocket's over all size was still to large. It stopped the primer from falling out but the primer still moved around in the pocket.

I experimented with this with steel chinese 7.62x39 cases. I found that red loctite worked well. I would put all the loaded rounds bullet down in a shell holder tray, put a small amount of red loctite on each primer and let them sit at least overnight and preferably longer. Loctite when exposed to air doesn't harden. It has to seep down into the cracks and not have oxygen to set up. That's why the tubes of loctite and super glue always have a bunch of empty space in them even when new. I still have some I loaded up that way during the first Klinton administration and they still work just fine.

I dunno about trying it with 30-06. There's a big difference in power between a 7.62x39 and a 30-06. But it is an interesting experiment for a ZAI (Zombie Apocolypse Item).