Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Karl I need your Helwan experience!

TLynn

ksswamprat

Guardian of the Plains

(6/1/05 22:29)

Reply Karl I need your Helwan experience!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I need advice on Helwan's! Just got 2 to work on for a friend. Hoping I might end up with one. One is not feeding right,the other is locked up. The one that is locked up the slide will not move. Both of these pistol's have hammer springs straight out of H-ell. It takes both hands to cock these dudes! Is this normal? If so how do I reduce it? One slide seems to catch on the way back. With no archieves I need in put. Help! Karl, Help!

Swamprat

Karlunity

Guardian of the Eastern Shores

(6/2/05 21:29)

Reply Re: Karl I need your Helwan experience!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Glad to help Rat.

Quote:

I need advice on Helwan's! Just got 2 to work on for a friend. Hoping I might end up with one. One is not feeding right,the other is locked up. The one that is locked up the slide will not move. Both of these pistol's have hammer springs straight out of H-ell. It takes both hands to cock these dudes! Is this normal? If so how do I reduce it? One slide seems to catch on the way back. With no archieves I need in put. Help! Karl, Help!

As to the feeding problem:

Are you using the issue mag, the one with solid follower and the finger grip, or the after market one?

The after market mag does not like anything but ball ammo, and only about 6 rounds of it.

The Issue mag, will take eight rounds but prefers ball ammo as well.

There are things you can try:

Polish the feeding ramp.

Take the mags apart and make sure the springs are in right.

As to the locked up slide, mine locked up when the locking block broke.

Try this: Make very sure the pistol is unloaded,( nothing against your friend, but you know non-green people are not as careful as we are, so you have to assume the jam may be the result of a stuck round)

If it is unloaded, put the grip of the stock against your work table, with the muzzle pointing toward the deck and pull back the hammer and holding the slide with one hand, smack the back of the grip.

What you are trying to do is force the slide to open.

Once you get it to open as far as the (Half moon) turn the slide catch release in the direction of the arrow on the frame and the slide should move forward, if there is a broken part, you may have to rattle it a bit.

Once you get the slide off, check for a broken locking block, or a loose locking block screw, if the screw is loose, the block can move off center and jam the pistol.

When you say

Quote:

hands to cock these dudes

Do you mean, pull the slide back with the hammer down?

If so, Yeah, mine was a pain, I had to order a new spring from GPC and cut a coil or two off.

If it is the hammer alone that is had to cock, it may not have been put in right, You may have to remove, clean and polish it and put it back.

I will try and find a copy of the parts chart and post it for you.

Or better still, send my a pvt post with your address and I will mail you a copy of my "Halwan File"

Take care and feel free to call back.

Karl

Edited by: Karlunity at: 6/2/05 21:42

Karlunity

Guardian of the Eastern Shores

(6/4/05 21:32)

Reply Re: Karl I need your Helwan experience!

Rat, check your E-mail.

Karl