Military Firearm Restoration Corner

New Additions To The Family

odies dad

My chicken herd just doubled.

About 4 weeks ago one of my 6 hens disappeared. I figured a critter must have got her, but Liam found 7 little chicks today. I'm assuming that is what she has been up to.

Earlier this spring a farmer from our church gave me 6 hens and a rooster. They were full grown and we've been getting a bunch of eggs from them. Apparently we haven't been getting all the eggs.

Found another one. 8 babies now. Got Mom and the little ones all into the coop together and she is showing tham how to scratch for food. I had her in the tub with the others, but she went back into the grass to get the other little one. About like trying to catch a mouse in the tall grass around the old corn crib. Put the little one in with the others and coaxed Mom into the coop.

Had chickens for years don't pay in ak. but nothing like fresh eggs.if i lived in lower 48 with cheap feed. there is nothing to it,except skunks and weasels.

Tony based on what I learned from a former co-worker. Visit an allergist and get tested before you invest mega bucks. Guy I worked with bought a chicken farm in Arkansas after he retired. His allergies to the chickens and their droppings were so bad it put him in the hospital. He was forced to sell out at a loss. Last I heard he was raising cattle and sheep somewhere in Texas and doing pretty good financially.

You can buy eggs cheaper than feed, but farm fresh eggs are tough to beat (pun intended).

I hope the chickens will keep the bug population down as well. They are just fun to have around.

Liam did it again. Now he found a baby rabbit.

We went through this about a year ago with one that the dog caught. That one was smaller and was wounded. It did end up dying after almost a week. This one looks very healthy. Hope it stays that way. Cute little bugger.