Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Aluma-Hyde Ii Question

rdm1962

Well I finaly got up enough nerve to do the metal finishing on my first build. I have had it back from Clemson for about 6 months now. Thanks again Bill. I have been going very slow on the final metal finishing and making lots of excusess as to why not to finish it.

Yesterday I broke out the air gun and Aluma-Hyde II and got started. I did the trigger gaurd and bottom metal first. They actualy look fairly good in texture and finish. They are hanging in the garage in the 90*+ temps to aid in curing.

My question is this: I know to protect screw holes, feed rails, chamber ect... from overspray but what about the muzzel? Should I plug the muzzel with somthing to keep overspray out of the rifeling? Will it hurt accuracy to have some in the rifeling? The barrel must be "broke in" first. The first 50 rounds are almost a waist anyways.

Your thoughts please, Thanks

Ralph

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to stick a wad of paper in the barrel to plug it. Also, you can use masking tap to mask off the areas you don't want coated. Just peal it off with a pair of tweezers when you're done so the finish doesn't try around the tape.

Something like a golf tee in the muzzle is not a bad idea. AlumaHyde II takes at least a week to cure. It sets up dry within a few hours, but it will be tender until it is fully cured. When it is set up, however, it is really good stuff.

Good luck!!

Clemson