Military Firearm Restoration Corner

New Build

Brenden

I've been working on this gun off and on for a few months now, it was susposed to be a Fathers day gift for my dad. Well that time has passed so I guess it may become his Christmas gift. Dam work anyway...

This is Mr. Gustafs. Hes a 1917 model. He had a nice 29" barrel, but dad can't really lift a heavy long gun because of his shoulder, and I just may use that 29" tube :) Yes, I'm selfish.

Its chambered, drilled, welded, and safety fitted, basically everything is done except dura coat and inlet the stock (old Fajen)

It would not chamber FL sized rounds, and after buying a set of RCBS dies and sizing the cases, ah be darned, they chamber (I'll never buy lee dies again)

21" A&B barrel 6.5x55, Timmey saftey, Leuopold mounts and rings, bolt shank off of numrich gun parts, and a little re-countour on the TG. It will be gun blue dura coat. My dad loves dura coat now and just went nutz when I did my 338-06 in it. Carl isn't anything fancy but I think dad will like it.

Brenden

DSC02071.jpg

DSC02072.jpg

DSC02073.jpg

DSC02074.jpg

DSC02070.jpg

• 4 months later...

Well folks, Carl is finished. I hope dad likes him, he gets to open his Christmas gift up Friday evening. Dad asked the other day if I was ever going to work on his gun so he could shoot it, I just said the headspace gages were tied up and I didn't know when I'de be able to check and make sure it was safe to shoot. I don't think he has a clue what I did to Carl. He finished the stock sometime ago, I just added to it. Still may fit a 3/4" pad to it so long arms can use it, and of course, duracoat. Its just too darn cold for that stuff now! Sorry for the crappy pictures, my gun room over flows with Christmas presents and gun parts. Merry Christmas everyone!

DSC02089.jpg

DSC02085.jpg

DSC02088.jpg

Brenden

That is a very nice looking rifle. I am sure your Dad will treasure it.

I know I would if one of my son's built one for me.

I may just try to build one for my Dad for Xmass 2011.

Merry Christmass to All

Darin

Way to go Brenden.I've seen you come a long way since you joined the board.That's good work,but doing it for your Dad is the impressive part.I have a son like you.Those little ole Swede's and 6.5x55 are my favorite smoke poles.Jerry