Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Clean Up Our Act???

flaco

So.

It occurs to me that if Tony is going to spend money on advertising the site, we really need to clean up our act.

Quit squabbling about politics like a bunch of girls, and go back the the constructive mutually supportive restoration and sporterizing advice that has made this site so great in the past. Especially since we no longer have the archives to keep folks' attention.

I know that when I first found the site about a year ago, I spent hour after hour learning from the archives.

As it is, newcomers are likely to find the pickins a little slim.

With the exception of the sometimes not-that-well-informed opinions in the Cud and Fightin' Words sections.

LOL.

With all respect,

flaco

As it is, newcomers are likely to find the pickins a little slim.

Well said. I am the visitor. I see more posts in the "Chewing the Cud" and rant sections than in any of the firearm sections. If this were my site I would eliminate the General sections and put the focus back on firearms.

If you provide a place to rant, troll and flame, that is exactly what the people will do.

That being said, there is a ton of good info here. I am glad to see that sandpaper is not a dirty word.

This is my opinion. Your opinion may vary.

ZM

"As it is, newcomers are likely to find the pickins a little slim."

True, it's a shame we lost the archives. There was so much information there.

But, to be fair, this gives the newcomers an opportunity to share their input now, and rebuild the archives. They can never be recovered, so rebuilding is the right word.

I'm sure any of the "old timers" would be more than happy to share their experience with any newcomer. It's just that sometimes we were only reposting things that had already been discussed.

Also many of us "old timers" have a short memory, and we sometimes forget what we have posted before (hell, even forget how we did a particular thing).

Cut 'em some slack, and I'm sure the "old timers" will remember some of the things that were in the archives, and even start up some new things.

And I'm sure they will answer any questions you may have about firearms. Just ask.

fritz

I disagree having the freedom to speak your mind without some daisy locking your post or deleating it. Can not be a bad thing. This site is the same way as the old site was when it started. In many ways its much tamer today than it was in the early days.

A Big Welcome!! To the site Zeke you will find many people here with a wealth of information and im sure you will make some new friends.

Tom

Sir.

This site started as a place where people could exchange ideas freely.

That is what makes it unique. If we start to restrict all the posts or delete any that were "off topic", we would become a poor copy of Bill's site.

Karl

Guest MorgansBoss

This is my home page, I hope that sums up my feelings about the place. Now, I came here and keep coming back because of the gun stuff, but there isn't always something new that I have anything to add to in the gun sections. It is then that "Chewing The Cud" with people I don't know but have come to think of as my friends comes into play. Yeah we rant and we talk about stuff that doesn't have the slightest to do with guns and we argue about differences in opinion, but it is the same sort of discussions I'd be having with these fellas if we were sitting around a fire or on the front porch. It is that hominess (is that a word?) that keeps me checking in every time I'm on line instead of just when I need some gun advise. It is what makes this place HOME instead of just another web site. I hope all new comers (and you lurkers out there) become comfortable enough to join in these conversations when the gun stuff is kinda slow.

I have to agree with keeping the "social areas" open on this forum.

I must say that through any and all disagreements here (and yes, things are much tamer at the moment) that I feel absolutely at ease with all members on this site. Hell, I'm even nice to Karl on occasion, as difficult as that can be ... laugh.gif

Seriously though, its easy enough to stay out of those areas you don't like and leave the rest of this fractious lot (me included) to enjoy the freedom of this board. No matter what the disagreement, I'd be surprised to see anyone not help you out on a serious question you have.

As to the trolls, yes, they can be an issue from time to time, but this is the internet. cool.gif

Do girls tend to squabble over politics?

I don't think the General sections detract from the more technical ones. And it's useful to have a place to find-out what others are thinking and to share philosophy. Philosophy is important.

Politically we're all pretty-much on the fringe given an interest in firearms. This interest alone is enough to isolate us from large fraction of society. This political isolation makes it important for us to communicate, and the General sections are an excellent way for us to do that.

I suppose that those who don't support the second ammendment and freedom in general would prefer to see communication amongst firearms enthusiasts limited.

Chewing the Cud and Thems Fighten Words are a couple of good places for us to all blow off some steam, discuss what is on our minds, well, I think the rest of you have minds, not sure about myself, and generally hash things out. True, there is seldom a word about gun stuff here, but it is where I start and end my day each day. I have come to think of the rest of you all as friends and would be at a loss without my daily fix. I think the rest of the site will grow again, especially as the winter months come upon us and we all have more time for building and tinkering with our projects. Most of us I would think are busy during the summer months with outdoor stuff and tend to put off the projects until we cannot enjoy the outdoors.

Do we have disagreements. Of course, who doesn't that spends any time around others. If everyone was always in agreement on everything, there would be little left to discuss. Bottom line is I would not want the site to change and remove these two sections. It is home for many of us. I hope to be here for a long time to come. swamp thing

As far as I can tell, the emphasis on these boards is not firearms. It is "Chewing the Cud" and fightin' words. The last two times I hit "view new posts" all posts except for one was rant related. Not much discussion about milsurp restoration. If this is what the Moderators want so be it.

This is not the first gun board I have frequented that was taken over by the general comentary and rant sections. Soon the flame throwers and trolls wil show up and chaos will ensue.

This is my opinion. Your opinion may vary.

ZM

As far as I can tell, the emphasis on these boards is not firearms.  It is "Chewing the Cud" and fightin' words.  The last two times I hit "view new posts" all posts except for one was rant related.  Not much discussion about milsurp restoration.  If this is what the Moderators want so be it.

This is not the first gun board I have frequented that was taken over by the general comentary and rant sections.  Soon the flame throwers and trolls wil show up and chaos will ensue. 

This is my opinion.  Your opinion may vary.

ZM

4949[/snapback]

Zeke, I think you'll fit right in ... I note that 2 of your 3 posts are right here in "Chewing the Cud". laugh.gif

Sorry, I couldn't resist! biggrin.gif

Welcome all the same ... we've been at this a fair while and the board runs quite well. I hope you will find that as the archives build up once again this is a great place to hang out!

Zeke, just curious where you found the site?

Anyway, most of my life isn't guns, so I have plenty of other junk to talk about. We've been up and running 4 yrs. and have done pretty well. Right now is slow, but that is due to periodic slow-downs, plus the loss of three plus yrs. of archived material due to an alleged hacker. I totally left EZBoard and threw up the shingle here. It is a total site rebuild, which is no small task, particularly when the hosting svc. was unreliable and the great material vaporized.

We're friends here, and this is the spot I usually hang out at. There are sites that strongly discourage talking about anything not firearm related, but not here, and it hasn't undone us. The thing that dictates the continuation of the board long-term is: being up without downtime, large enough of a group of 'smiths and colorful personalities to keep things going, and advertisement, esp. on search engines.

What I see for the future is slow to moderate re-growth if I work hard, just like real life. Really, my role is overseer of the board. I seek advice, and decide on the direction to go. Everything could be lost again, just like life in general, but everyone who hangs around takes something with them.

Quit squabbling about politics like a bunch of girls

I'm not sure, but is this an insult or a compliment?

Maybe I need a man to decide for me.

NOT!!! LOL!

I like it here. Sure, I miss the old stuff from the other site, particularly information on the creation of Twedes...but I figure that good stuff like that is bound to come around again, so, I will bide my time here, griping, snivelling and squabbling like others of my ilk until it does.

If and when I don't like it, I will just move on past the general discussion forums and get into the gun stuff. If I am really lucky, I may have learned something that I can pass onto others, whether in Restoration, Sporterization or the Archives.

Believe me, there are many times when I have signed onto boards with Cosmolined fingers, in a panic because something unidentified just flew off of my Mauser bolt...I don't care where I get the information, as long as it's out there somewhere. And it will be here again, in time!

Oh come on Emul8.

You're the least confrontational member of the board. Excepting your faux squabbles with Shooter Tom.

I'm tempted to say token distaff member. What happened to Tall Lynn?

flaco

Who was that nasty guy?

With the black mask?

Why... that was flaco, Agent Provocateur.

Waaaaahhh!

Now I am crying like a sensitive man!

flaco is hurting my feeling.

I'm not confrontational? What the heck do you mean by that...and what's with that tone of keyboard? Who do you think you are, black-mask man?

ph34r.gif

My biggest problem is that if I check "chewing the cud" I get sucked in. Time as we know it becomes meaningless. The next thing I know is that I have three days worth of whiskers, I'm ravenous, and the phone message light is blinking from loved ones wondering if I'm still alive.

That said, I like reading the spirited banter, although I do confess to mild dissapointment at the slow pace of my favorite - "sporterizing weapons". That was the one that got me here in the first place and it's where I always check first. (and sometimes the only one I check.) We need FM Sniper to get back to posting daily photo updates of his weekly completed projects to fire things up.

But I also believe that you can't force the issue. Things will happen at their own pace and in their own way. Newcomers will very likely shift some of the focus back to our core hobby with questions, tips, and project photos. Some of the old timers will undoubtedly tire of rehashing the some old subjects, but they will, and others will chime in, and life will go on...

I like this place. I too feel like I have made some "faceless friends". (Although I know what Fritz looks like in a sombrero!) It would be fun to have a big old picnic and get to meet every one in person.

Oh come on Emul8.

You're the least confrontational member of the board.  Excepting your faux squabbles with Shooter Tom.

I'm tempted to say token distaff member.  What happened to Tall Lynn?

flaco

Who was that nasty guy? 

With the black mask?

Why... that was flaco, Agent Provocateur.

5047[/snapback]

Sometimes I just get busy and forget where I've been...the end of the federal government's fiscal year is now gone (as is another year for me age wise) and I have a bit more time to do things (I think?).

So hopefully one will see more of me. I'm also trying to take a little bit more time for myself and have developed a few bad habits - newer handguns. I love milsurps but handguns are becoming a very fun thing of late. tongue.gif

As for the rest of the thread....it's like some have said - it's a bit hard to rebuild 3 years of work overnight. Almost disheartening in fact. Chewing the Cud and even the flame section keeps the rest of the area sane. Do we sometimes spend too much time in just these two forums? Probably. But like anything else, it's a phase or a cycle and like everything else that too will pass as more people arrive and things start to liven up elsewhere on this board.

You just roll with the punches some days.

And before anybody asks what the heck I'm doing online at this time of day --- yes I'm home sick. I've tried for over a week to fight the cold/pneumonia and it won (but I actually beat the pneumonia part so I win for a change.

I see where a few are disappointed that there is not as much going on in the sporterizing weapons forum as this one.

That is to be expected, when you get down to it. Anyone expecting strictly gun talk on a forum called "Fighting Words" or "Chewing the Cud" is being facetious .

A place for everything, and everything in its place. Hell, Bill's sites only allow the latter. He has no place for "everything".

I too, am a bit disappointed to not see as much posted on the sporterizing forum as before, but I for one have less time right now for sporterizing. Maybe others do also.

Given time, I will be back just as the guvnor of Kalifornia said in his movies.

fritz

Don't know about the rest of ya but for the last few weeks I was MIA in the shop. What with the seasons changing, trying to get things done before winter, hunting seasons rolling around (I'm a big dove hunter)... Even when I would go in the shop and try to get in to something, it just didn't click and I locked the door back up.

This week things seem to be different for some reason. I cleaned-up my boy's .270 - on an engraved M98 action w/ claw mounts, a "bring back" that came to me stripped and in deplorable condition - he's been bragging on it at work and there were a couple issues I wanted to address before he starts showing it off. Since then I've been in the shop everyday. If its been the same way for the rest of you maybe things will start happening around here again as well?