Military Firearm Restoration Corner

3 New Projects Started And Or Starting

8uck5nort

I have almost 90% of the parts that are needed for my next three projects. Hope to have them finished by upcoming Summer 2011.

1908 Brazilian mauser. Easiest one. Just rebarreling in original caliber with new A and B F34 barrel. Using a Boyds walnut stock and timney trigger. Will t and d for scope mount. Parked and Duracoated a color that is yet TBD. May add a 3 round detachable magazine.

BCD43 German Mauser. Was already sportered at one time into a 8mm-06. Will clean up and put on a A and B F34 30-06 barrel. I am hand carving a black cherry thumbhole mannlicher style stock that will be trimed in Franch Claro Walnut. It is already t and d for a buehler scope mount. It will have a fixed 4x32 non belled scope so I can re-use the original Bueler rings. This one will also be parked and then duracoated in a yet TBD color. timney trigger.

Finally my 2011 deer gun. 1918 Bresica Carcano calvary carbine that will be rebarrled in 357 max. Action is alread t and d and will put a fixed 4x style LER scope. I am reusing a vintage boyds stock that the rifle came with. It is in pretty rough shape, but I have decided to sand off the finish. Then Duracoat the stock in a fall and or winter camo color scheme and I'll take it from there.

I have some more ideas on the drawing board after this round for 2012. Not 100% sure of these just throwing them out there.

1. In the mood to try another mosin. Maybe an all white snow camo sniper rifle....

2. A Mauser or Carcano in 358 gremlin. - 2012 Deer gun????

3. A Mauser or Carcano in 7.62x39 Russion.

Pictures now included!

30-06: Still need to find a barrel. Will want it to be 20 to 21". Going to add a extended mag release. Will be sandblasted and parked. Color suggestions? Stainless Steel, Matte Black, Sniper Green, or a Rose Color perhaps to go along with the Black Cherry stock? Help me out. Scope to fit the older bueler rings.

post-5537-128693033559_thumb.jpg

post-5537-128693039804_thumb.jpg

post-5537-128693045962_thumb.jpg

post-5537-128693050719_thumb.jpg

post-5537-128693055537_thumb.jpg

7mm Mauser: Going to add a Gibbs detachable mag and extend the mag release. Still need to get a low swing saftey and have the bolt turned down. Color suggestions. Matte Black or Matte Brown. Dunno Stainless maybe? Maybe two tone color scheme. SS and GunBlue???? Tasco Low scope rings and suitable 4x32 scope.

post-5537-128693025069_thumb.jpg

post-5537-128693018594_thumb.jpg

357 MAX: The stock is going to get painted. It has been repaired and has hairline cracks. So I was going to epoxy to stabilize the wood and then Coat in a High quality epoxy based paint. I am thinking Fall Forest Camo, but hey I am open to suggestions here. If I can get the bolt handle turnded down and swept for scope I am thinking of going with a cantilevered mount similar to the ATI MN mount and use a regular scope in 4x32 instead of a LER style.

post-5537-128693062033_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the input guys!

To say that I am envious is an understatment. You are blessed with patience to start from scratch with that stock.

Matte Black on the 06 would look good. You mentioned dura coat, if so stay away from stainless steel, I did my .308 in it, and it looks like hell (may have got a bad batch).

On the 7mm, a gibbs detachable mag shouldn't require a longer mag release. I assume you are talking about the existing mag release on the bottom metal (where you have to shove in with a screw driver to release the floor plate) and not the one on the gibbs mag. The gibs mag has two "buttons" if you will to realease the mag. They are easily accessable.

Sounds like you have good plans. Good luck on your projects.

Brenden

• 2 months later...

Progress Report!

Chrerry Mannlicher stock for the 30-06. I am about 40% done with the rough shaping of the stock. I have started the inletting as well to hlep guide me. Made a mistake with the walnut grip cap by drilling two peg holes too deep and now have holes on the bottom side of the grip cap... Oh well. Don't know how I am going to fix that yet, but live and learn. At he rate I am going I have another 3-4 months of work before finishing. I do have a quick question. Do you need a metal end cap for a mannlicher style stock or is this purely personal prefernce? I am going to a have a claro walnut end cap and would hate to cover it up with a metal muzzle protector.

post-5537-129415771121_thumb.jpg

post-5537-12941577184_thumb.jpg

post-5537-129415772576_thumb.jpg

post-5537-129415773126_thumb.jpg

post-5537-129415770291_thumb.jpg

Carcano in 357 max.

Had the bolt worked and barrel and chamber worked. I will be sanding and then painting the stock in a yet to be determined manner. I like the turkington stock with the spider-web paint. That is apossibility. I have to figure out how to from a clip to get out of the single shot environment. I should be able to finsih this one well before deer season 2011 and have it ready to go.

post-5537-12941581771_thumb.jpg

post-5537-129415818868_thumb.jpg

post-5537-129415819465_thumb.jpg

post-5537-129415820046_thumb.jpg

7mm Mauser. No pix yet. Waiting on safety work to be completed and then I will post some pics of progress on that project. I should bring that one to a close some time this year as well.

Any suggestions welcome.

Darin

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks really good Darin. It’s a shame you can't use that 30-06 for your guys deer season. By meaning the 358 gremlin, are you talking about trimming the 25 wssm down to 1.640 and necking it up to .35 cal? I've heard of some guys in your area doing so. You could make a "whisper" style cartridge necked up to .35 or take a .458 winnie and trim to length specific and shoot 500 grain dangerous game bullets :D

Keep up the good work, everything is looking good!

Brenden

Thanks Brenden

I am sad to report the tragedy struck last night as I was working on my stock. sad.gif My homemade workbench has a serious flaw. The wingnuts on the bolts caught the very edge of the grip cap and chipped it really good... Needless to say I now have to strip it back down and work the chip out and the refinish the whole thing. I had 4 coats on the stock so it was looking really good until I did that. Oh well, practice, practice, practice....

I am still looking for an opinion on the forearm cap. I have a metal end piece that came off of a Spanish mauser that I can convert and make it look ok. Just don't know if I have to have it for accuracy or is it basically just decoration...

I still have to cut the barrel down a couple of inches. Any suggestions on cutting it by hand and not screwing it up?

Yeah I wish we could use a rifle cartridge for deer. Funny thing is I could take this 30-06 squirrel hunting and it would be perfectly legal... Go figure.

I am still kicking the .358 gremlin idea around. Basically a .357 bullet in a necked up 7.62x39 russian case was were I was going with it. Toying with the idea of trying to rebarrel an SKS. I think that would work out the best.