Military Firearm Restoration Corner

460 S&W

TLynn

roscoedoh

(6/6/05 19:03)

Reply 460 S&W

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw one of these today in a pawn shop. Supposedly it can shoot 45LC, 454 Casull, and 460 S&W. The 460 S&W ammo had a plastic tip. I've read where S&W upper the pressure limit on this cartridge to ~70,000 psi (?). Can you imagine the headache that'll give you when the barrel whacks you in the forehead? Or the wrist problems from the recoil?

I have to say that next to the SA Ruger 44 Mag I looked at last week, this is most ridiculous looking handgun I've yet layed eyes upon. This stainless steel monster was a foot long and deafened me just looking at it. For those of you who wish to kill Caped Buffalo at 200 yards or just like to beat on yourself this is the pistol for you!

For the rest of us, may I suggest something in a longer and more sensible rifle configuration. The 458 Win Mag comes to mind...

Sheesh!

Jason

Stephen F. Austin State University Class of 2005!

SB48

(6/10/05 20:17)

Reply Re: 460 S&W

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I read on another forum where a member there had talked to a Smith factory rep at the Shot Show, I think it was, and was told that they don't expect the forcing cone to hold up, very long. For occasional shooters, no problem, for the guy who shoots it a lot, they figure to replace the shrouded barrels? When they anounced that velocity, it struck me as too fast for a pistol.

AzRednek

(6/15/05 9:54)

Reply Re: 460 S&W

I'm waiting to see if excessive gas cutting on the top strap dooms the caliber same as the 357 Maximum.