Military Firearm Restoration Corner

case hardening

As far as color case hardening, good luck finding anyone anymore. Doug Turnbull used to do it but stopped. Warpage rate was too high.

To smooth up your action polish it.

A feller in Amarillo does it,but said he didn't like the idea of doing a high pressure caliber action because of the heat involved.He knows Mausers I guess,because he said a low pressure shell like 7x57,6.5X55,OR .257 Roberts in a '98 action might be ok,and that's the only action he'd Case harden.If it's that iffy,I don't want my head behind the bolt even if it is purty,not my head,the gun.Jerry

A feller in Amarillo does it,but said he didn't like the idea of doing a high pressure caliber action because of the heat involved.He knows Mausers I guess,because he said a low pressure shell like 7x57,6.5X55,OR .257 Roberts in a '98 action might be ok,and that's the only action he'd Case harden.If it's that iffy,I don't want my head behind the bolt even if it is purty,not my head,the gun.Jerry

5002[/snapback]

If you're worried, then how about the bases and scope rings. I've seen that done where it looks really good.

steve

I'm confused. I understand the process of color case hardening and the reason for it. Your putting a very hard wearable surface on a mild steel. The process could lend itself to warpage of an action but what would make it anymore dangerous than a case hardened or carborized action.

Please forgive my ignorance,

rwims

Guest MorgansBoss

I'm hoping someone with more insight will reply to rwims' question, but I'm guessing it has to do with the way color-cased parts are quenched. The process involves heating the parts to a specific temperature while sealed inside a crucible filled with carbon (the formula is as varied as the users - bone meal, charcoal, etc...). After a specific period of time has elapsed the entire mess is dumped into a tank of water with air circulating through it. Its the bubbles with their varying temperature that impart the colors. This is a thumb nail description of the process but hopefully it gets the point across. Thin parts like lock plates on side-lock doubles or M/L's are typically screwed to a sturdy block or plate to prevent warping. The thin portions on the sides of a mauser action would be subject to such problems.