Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Barrel Preference Question

Sailormilan2

I have a Large ring Mauser, with small ring threads I want to rebarrel. Since it has small ring threads, I can either get an Adams and Bennett barrel and rethread it, or a Remington 700 barrel and rethread.

Does anyone have any preferences, or opinions as to which is a better barrel? The A&B or the Remington ?

I have a Large ring Mauser, with small ring threads I want to rebarrel. Since it has small ring threads, I can either get an Adams and Bennett barrel and rethread it, or a Remington 700 barrel and rethread.

Does anyone have any preferences, or opinions as to which is a better barrel? The A&B or the Remington ?

A remington take-off barrel would probably be a better barrel and they used to be less expensive.

That said I've had very good luck with A&B.

A&B series 2 mauser barrels are already pre-threaded and short chambered for SR recievers.

The series 3 barrels are for LR recievers and would require rethreading.

True, but the only Series 2 barrels they have now are the F14 lightweight profile barrels. I have not decided yet if I want to go a standard weight barrel or a heavy barrel.

From my experience, the A&B would be preferable to a Remington take-off. I have done several both ways, and the Remingtons inevitably had a high degree of runnout. There was a reason that someone took the barrel off. That said, I have a nearly new 30-06 from a model 700 if you are interested.

Clemson