Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Richards Microfit Stocks

Sailormilan2

Richards finally updated their bargain page last week, which I happened to stumble across. Just what I needed a month before Christmas. I have a 300 Win Mag project in dire need of a stock, and a couple of actions in dire need of barrels and stocks.

I saw two of the bargain stocks I liked, so I ordered them on Wed. They were shipped on Friday, and I got them today.

Top stock is an AA grade, English walnut Blem Modern Classic style. I guess the blem is a small knot part way down the left side of the forarm. It came with a Pachmyer Decelerator pad, which wasn't listed in the description.

Bottom stock is also an AA grade, English walnut 2nd, but in the Old Classic style. There are a couple of stock repairs. Wood is darker, seems denser, stock is slighly bigger in dimensions, and does not have the rosewood caps. Stock feels heavier than the first one.

Both were priced at $99 each, which I think is a good price, even with the blems and repairs.

Now to decide which one goes on the 300 Win Mag.

post-13-129046904181_thumb.jpg

post-13-129046905359_thumb.jpg

post-13-12904696824_thumb.jpg

Those are nice looking stocks. For $99, I would have bought them too. That would be the only reason I would buy them as well. Last year I bought a stock from them in claro walnut A fancy grade for my 338-06. To say I was disappointed is an understatement. The action inlet wasn't even close to being deep enough, and the wood has dried so much in the past year that I couldn't hardly get my barreled action out of the stock this year, causing more inlet around the receiver and barrel. My only reason for keeping this stock was I received it one week before deer season, and I wanted to use that gun bad!

I'm going to try Dakota Cliff next time, hes got some beautiful wood, (with better grain patterns) at mighty fine prices too.

Not to knock your stocks, they are beautiful indeed, just my small rant against Richards or most any other mass produced stock company for that matter. That modern classic would look good on a .300 win, its very stylish. The old classic begs for a 9.3x62 cal. or similar. I'm a fan of the old classic, still wish I would have gotten that instead of the Frontier Sportster Style for my .338.

Brenden

Is that the ACTUAL finish ? I considered them when looking to put a new stock on a small ring Mauser and I went through web hits and did did a pro/con list and came up with about 70% against. (Which is why I went to Boyds) How's the fit?

I just wet down the stock with some water to show the grain. It definately need some work to finish. I probably have a week's worth of work ahead of me. I plan on finishing these in some form of Polyurethane type finish.

Richards stocks are advertised as 95% finished. I would say closer to 90%. Definately not drop in. I just went over them with some 150 grit on a palm sander, and I think I am going to have to start with 100 grit. Outside are very rough.

I have now had a chance to really look at the stocks. I was considering doing a build with the very dark Old Classic stock(bottom one). It has lots of figure, but it is darker than my sons Bastogne walnut stock. I prefer lighter stocks on the blue guns, and darker stocks on light colored guns. So, now I am giving serious consideration to:

A. Find a Stainless Steel Charles Daly or Interams made Mauser receiver.

or

B. Taking my 35 Whelen out of its black laminated stock, and putting it in this stock. The 35 Whelen has a SS Adams and Bennett barrel, but the whole thing has been finished in KG Coatings Brushed Stainless Steel bake on paint. I can Bead blast off the paint, and polish the receiver and barrel to a nice finish and put it into the stock.

Any thoughts or pinions?

Here is the 35 as it is now.

post-13-129053189011_thumb.jpg

Updated:

My 300 Win Mag as it sits now. Barreled action has been waiting for a stock for about 1 1/2 years. Looks like it has found a home.

It's going to be a good looking rifle.

I've gotten the stock almost done. Bedded, bolt handle cut out down,cocking piece groove done. Stock sanded with 600 grit. So far, there are 8 coats of TruOil on it. I am using a new method to do the stock, and the stock is coming with more of an oil type finish rather than a shiney finish. I prefer the oil type finish.

post-13-129100706583_thumb.jpg

post-13-129100708073_thumb.jpg

post-13-129100709781_thumb.jpg

post-13-129100710864_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Dale, remind me to look at that on Monday. I'm impressed.

That's Richards...good wood for the money, but rougher than a cob. My experience with Boyds are they don't fit well and the wood isn't so hot either.

Dale and I trekked down to Richards a few months ago and went through piles of stocks for hours. All we got was dirty, but our buddy with us got a terrific French Walnut stock. So it's there but you have to dig.

I bought four from Dakotacliff earlier this year and really liked them, great wood, great prices. Only complaint is that they are a little beefy and need some working down.

Brad

There are some more stocks that have been posted. Well, I may have missed them the first time through. But I have send 2 emails to see if some of them are still there. I have 3 actions that need homes, so I am looking. Really didn't need this right after Christmas. :lol: