Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Cuttings Steps In Barrel

brokengun

I am thinking about un-sporterizing a large ring Mauser and putting it back into a military stock with hand-guard.

Currently the rifle has a 308 barrel on it that is a sporter configuration setting in a fancy Boyd stock.

What I want to do is take a 308, F54 barrel and cut it like the original military barrel so I can add the original type sights and have it fit back into a military stock.

I don’t want 8mm, I want to keep it 308. I just want to go back to the original look.

Problem is I don’t have an old barrel to go by.

Does anyone have the measurements for the steps for a barrel that fits a large ring full length receiver?

I need the measurements from the barrel shoulder forward.

Thank Guys I hope someone can help.

(P.S. I have everything I need to do this with except the measurements)

Many of the different manufacturors of the Mauser rifle often cut their barrels to slightly different profiles and dimentions. With stocks made to match. So, you might want to get a stock first to make sure of your dimensions for the barrel channel. Remember also, while most Mauer handguard go around the rear sight and clip to the barrel(stock is cut for this), 98K(WW2 style) handgaurds slip under a ring at the front of the rear sight.

I might have a spare barrel out in the shop I can send you(Turk barrel) so you can use it as a pattern.

• 11 months later...

i understand what you're trying to do, and have been down this road myself. Recontouring a barrel is not a fun or easy thing to do unless you're really good with your lathe, which you may be, but I know how easy it can be to ruin a barrel in a lathe and how FAST you can get there. Its always easier to just swap out a barrel. If you look here they have take off barrels with sights intact and great bores for CHEAP. 7.62 nato in a 98 action can handle a .308 WIN without issue, considering that .300 magnums are built off them all the time. Just an idea. Lets get some pictures up of the before and after too!

• 1 month later...