Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Aluminum Trigger Guards

724wd

ok fellas, who's used the aluminum trigger guard with the cast antelope from sporter express and the like? i know it's no sunny hill or some such, but is it a usable piece? i'm thinkin' a guy could make a new floorplate to get rid of the antelope, if he so desired...

also, i am going to buy (pending inspection under the woodline for rust) a belgium FN mauser and it looks like it wears an original aluminum trigger guard (sans antelope) and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them? it's an 06 with a beat factory stock, but the parts look worth the $300 price.

heath

I have my FN Mauser in 308 Norma Mag that came with that style alloy trigger guard with the cast antelope. It's a bit light duty, but functional. I have no plans to use it for anything but an occasional range session, as it's one of my "pretty" rifles. I don't have a shot of the bottom metal.

Spiris

post-237-129211948166_thumb.jpg

ok fellas, who's used the aluminum trigger guard with the cast antelope from sporter express and the like? i know it's no sunny hill or some such, but is it a usable piece? i'm thinkin' a guy could make a new floorplate to get rid of the antelope, if he so desired...

heath

Hi Heath,

I've had that aluminum Sporter Express trigger guard on my 35 Whelen for the past 6 years and the black enamel, or whatever it is, is starting to chip off. Not too bad yet, but I'm starting to think about fixing that problem. I would check Gun Parts Corp. to see if they have any FN steel commercial ones. I picked one up last summer for a good price.

Back on mute. B)

• 3 weeks later...

Heath, Brownells still sells the high falutin' aluminum guards with the deer or antelope or whatever it is on it. I ordered one for a friend and I thought it was really cheesey, but it made him happy, so I zipped my lip.

The FN aluminum tg is identical to the steel one on FN Supreme 400 actions (Browning Safari, etc) and is excellent except that they get just as ugly as anything else aluminum when the finish falls off. I have two or three NOS floorplates for them. There's probably someone somewhere that refinishes aluminum in some kind of finish.

GPC (Numrich) has their steel tgs on eBay all the time for $87.00, one on right now. They too aren't my cup of tea. I have two or three around and am not going to use them unless the world runs out of M-98 tgs. I'd gladly sell all the ones I have, lose money, and be proud. I'd rather use an ugly FN aluminum tg than one of those, ever.

I'll buy almost any FN for $300 and be very happy. Picked up three 400's, in 264, 243 and 25-06, in the last few weeks at $400 each. They all need CPR but will be great guns when done. Nuttin' better.

Brad

brad, i committed to buying the gun. the seller took pics of it out of the stock and it's perfect. i'll see what i can do with the aluminum TG when it gets here.