Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Uh Oh...found A Crack.

ghost95

Well, I got my first parer weight today. While removing the rest of the crest from a VZ24 I found a crack in the receiver ring. The crack runs perpendicular to the axis of the bore and is located directly above the primary torque shoulder. It looks like whoever installed the barrel torqued the hell out of it. It took us a lot of torque to get the barrel off. We had to use a long cheater bar along with the barrel vise to get the receiver off. The face of the barrel had an imprint of the primary torque shoulder on it that you could see and feel. If you guys have a real hard time getting the barrel off be sure to check the receiver ring for any cracks. I think there is a chemical that welders use to check for cracks. It's a two part spray that migrates through cracks to make them visible. I don't remember the name but I'm sure someone here does. I'll try and use it on the receivers when I find it.

I remember something about dipping the forward ring in gasoline. The gasoline seeps into the cracks and takes longer to evaporate when pulled out, exposing the cracks.

The Yugos went through a lot of effort to index those barrels...

+1

Yep, any fast evaporating solvent will show cracks. I've used gasoline. rubbing alcohol, and acetone in the past.

It was kind of a bummer to find a crack but I'm glad I did. It makes me wonder though, I mean, how many rounds have been put through that rifle with the crack there? If I had not been using this action for a sporter I would have never known there was a crack there. Is it possible to crack the ring removing the barrel. Anyway, I'm thinking of doing a cut-away with this one so I can explain to my friends how a rifle really works and what makes an accurate rifle. They might even understand why a really accurate rifle costs so much. Maybe they'll understand why it feels so much better to build one rather than buy one.

Well, I got my first parer weight today. While removing the rest of the crest from a VZ24 I found a crack in the receiver ring. The crack runs perpendicular to the axis of the bore and is located directly above the primary torque shoulder. It looks like whoever installed the barrel torqued the hell out of it. It took us a lot of torque to get the barrel off. We had to use a long cheater bar along with the barrel vise to get the receiver off. The face of the barrel had an imprint of the primary torque shoulder on it that you could see and feel. If you guys have a real hard time getting the barrel off be sure to check the receiver ring for any cracks. I think there is a chemical that welders use to check for cracks. It's a two part spray that migrates through cracks to make them visible. I don't remember the name but I'm sure someone here does. I'll try and use it on the receivers when I find it.

The product used for that method is called Dye-Check. It's a 3part check with a red dye, a remover and a

developer. The developer is srayed on and leaves a white powdery coat on which you can see the red dye as it creeps

out of the crack. Magnaflux is a different thing all together where you a apply an electrical current and spay on

an iron powder.the magnetic field will collect the powder and indicate any cracks

I hope this will answer your question.