Military Firearm Restoration Corner

3006 Brass Is Big

karlunity

You know fellas after fooling with 7.62/39 or 5.56 brass,.308 etc you tend to forget just how BIG the 3006 case is.

Say what you will about the value of the smaller round, but if I were fighting in Afghanistan, I would prefer a big round and the added range and stopping power.

Karl

Hello FC.

I agree.

For city work out to 250 meters, I would also take an SKS.

The bullet hits hard, in a dirty environment, with little time to clean, I KNOW the rifle will fire and the sights are OK once you adjust the front sight.

In the country, out to as far as you want to shoot with iron sights, the K-31 will deliver and do it with authority.

My 1917 Enfield, a Boris, a 30.06, will also carry well over 600 meters and with a good scope, and someone with younger eyes, out to 1000 meters.

Karl

Guess I'm ol'fashion and can't speak with any real authority or experience having never been in combat or the military. If I had to opt for a long gun weapon to carry for self-defense it will be a 12 ga with a short barrel. I would carry #4 buckshot and slugs. On the other hand if I had to select a rifle, was headed to a battle field and needed long range accuracy it would be my 03 Springfield. With my 60 year old eyes and the 03's antiquated iron sights I have no problem hitting a man sized target out to 250 yards.

It is going to be interesting to see what caliber, cartridge and rifle will be selected by the military to replace the 5.56/223 and the M-16/M-4. The internet rumor mill has the 6.8 or 270 caliber being given serious consideration. The problem I see is the same bureaucracy involved that dropped the 45ACP and selected the inferior 9MM. Hopefully the Wash DC bureaucrats and the fat cat generals awaiting retirement and a lucrative deal as a consultant from the so-called military industrial complex wont be involved in the selection. If I were the US dictator I'd demand military men with real combat experience being involved and NATO's opinion disregarded.

Sorry Karl for changing the gist of your thread!! The 06 is large but compared to some of the newer barrel burning, shoulder dislocating Ultra-Mags it may seem almost wimpy. I like the 06 because there are so many things one can do with the cartridge on a loading bench. A reloader can stuff any 30 cal slug from 90-250 grs in the 06 and tailor a load to cleanly and humanly dispatch any living creature in the Western Hemisphere at respectable ranges. The only possible exception might be a pissed off and charging Polar Bear and the shooter not having the time to concentrate on shot placement.

Sorry Karl for changing the gist of your thread!! The 06 is large but compared to some of the newer barrel burning, shoulder dislocating Ultra-Mags it may seem almost wimpy. I like the 06 because there are so many things one can do with the cartridge on a loading bench. A reloader can stuff any 30 cal slug from 90-250 grs in the 06 and tailor a load to cleanly and humanly dispatch any living creature in the Western Hemisphere at respectable ranges. The only possible exception might be a pissed off and charging Polar Bear and the shooter not having the time to concentrate on shot placement.

That is where I would want a semi auto BAR, for the polar bear, I mean.... wink.gif