Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Advice Needed - 1909 Dwm Argentine

ENBLOC

I'll have a 1909 DWM Argentine soon. Someone in the past has re-chambered it to .30-'06 (.31-'06) Cut down the Military stock & bent the bolt handle. All serial #'s match. I'd like to have a Rifle made for me in 8mm/06 (or other suggestions) I have an older Redfield base & rings that only require three holes in the rcvr. I believe. I have a K98 bbl. (1944) that the bore appears pretty nice. Outside has tooling marks. Could this be smoothed out, rechamered etc.? Not worth the effort? I already have a Ruger MKII in 6.5 x 55, .30-30 Marlin and a few 1891's that in 7.65 x 53 have all harvested deer for me. Thought the 8mm/06 would be nice if I ever drew an Elk tag. Need advice on where to start? Truing the action? Drill & tap for base? New bolt handle? Jewelling? Re-heat treating? Lapping the bolt? What does all this mean and how do I go about this in some orderly fashion? I'd appreciate any direction you could help me with! I need all the advice I can get so I can make up my mind!!?

i assume you reload, what with wanting an 8mm/06. any reason for this wildcat over the 8x57? If i remember correctly, the 8/06 is only marginally faster than the 8x57, and i'm betting an animal wouldn't be able to discern the difference.

If you are planning to use the issue barrel, i'd inspect it REALLY WELL. it cost the same to install a used barrel as a new one (generally). If you want the issue sights to line up, the gunsmith with have time in setting the barrel back and timing the sights, and a new barrel will probably need chucked in the lathe for something (figuring a prethreaded barrel). make SURE the barrel is in GREAT condition if you go with the old one. it could be chucked up and the tooling marks removed, but that will add cost and not make it shoot any better.

the rest of your list are all good suggestions. as to what order, well, i usually do things in the wrong order, so i'm probably not the best to ask... :D

good luck!

Your interests say that you reload.

So as to where to start....

A. Check the head-space and otherwise inspect the rifle.

B. Load up some .311-06.

C. See how she shoots before you go swapping barrels around.

724wd brings up a good point to the costs involved.

How much are you able to do yourself which only costs your time Vs. paying a pro to do?

If it already shoots MOA or better, lapping & truing etc. isn't going to gain you much.

A truly clean bore and good bed job will usually do more than anything else to gain you accuracy.

Jeweling is for you, the game won't care.

Just a few thoughts.

Enjoy your new rifle!

Tinker ;)

I feel it all boils down to how much you want to spend. If the issue barrel is in good shape. Simply loading 31 cal bullets in the 06 case will be the most inexpensive route. I would certainly recommend you give the 31 cal bullets a test run in the issue barrel.

I had the same thing back in the 70's. The shot to shot accuracy I got out of it with factory, mil-surp and reloaded 30/06 was more than sufficient for hunting and I was using the issue sights. I loaded a Hornady 174gr .313 bullet using 06 data for a 180gr bullet and the accuracy went from the 06's mediocre to excellent. I think Hornady still makes the same bullet but it is now .312. I traded away the Argie before I ever got any big game with it but I was confident with it using either 30 or 31 cal bullets. I wouldn't have hesitated to take Deer or Elk hunting.

If you're going to go the re-barrel route. You might as well select your favorite caliber/cartridge. If you're a reloader and Elk hunter I'd give 35 Whelen serious consideration. 724 is right on with the cost. The very few bux you will save using a surplus barrel, in my opinion is not worth the trouble.

There are always questions on why one selects X caliber when Y or Z would be better. If for whatever reason you want an 8MM/06 go for it. Simply saying "I want one" is a good enough reason for any cartridge you pick. What ever caliber or cartridge you go with, I suggest you try a factory loaded cartridge to see how well it fits in the magazine. Usually not a problem for a reloader, just seat the bullet deep enough to fit. If you're to sell or part with it for any reason. Do the next guy a favor and make certain factory ammo fits.

Good Luck with your project and keep us advised how it goes.

I have a German LR 98 barrel that was rechambered in 8mm-06. I beleive it still has the waffen stamps on the barrel. I took it off a sported mauser that I am turning into a 30-06.

It appears to be in decent shape. Let me know if your interested and we can work something out in trade or if you wanna look at it I can post some pics.

Darin

Your interests say that you reload.

So as to where to start....

A. Check the head-space and otherwise inspect the rifle.

B. Load up some .311-06.

C. See how she shoots before you go swapping barrels around.

724wd brings up a good point to the costs involved.

How much are you able to do yourself which only costs your time Vs. paying a pro to do?

If it already shoots MOA or better, lapping & truing etc. isn't going to gain you much.

A truly clean bore and good bed job will usually do more than anything else to gain you accuracy.

Jeweling is for you, the game won't care.

Just a few thoughts.

Enjoy your new rifle!

Tinker ;)

This is all good advice. I will have most of the metal work done by 'smith drill & tap, new bolt handle. I could take care of stock, new safety, trigger. Have re-blue done by smith. A couple years ago I acquired an 1891 that had a scope mounted, got a buehler safety and glass bedded it in the original military stock that was cut down. Handloads put two in the same hole @ 50 yards. About an inch at 100 yards. That's in 7.65 x 53. This one goes out in the woods with me sometimes and has taken a few deer so far. One shot was all that was needed. 150 grain Spitzer.

I think I need to go slow with this latest Argentine. I'll swap out an expander nipple for .31 cal. and load up some starting loads for the .31-'06. If it looks promising I'll go get new laminated stock, glass bed action AND I'll look for trigger/safety. Leave issue sights alone & bolt, just get her a re-blue. Maybe better to look for an 8mm/06 already put together?

A DWM 1909 action is a wonderful piece of machinery. If you are going to the trouble of restocking, redoing the metal work, new bolt handle, etc., use a new, commercial barrel on it and forget the surplus route. As has been mentioned, it costs the same (sometimes more) to install a surplus barrel as it would for a new barrel. For elk, a 30-06, 338-06, or 35 Whelen would be excellent. I love the 1909 actions. They are a true pleasure to work with.

Clemson

A DWM 1909 action is a wonderful piece of machinery. If you are going to the trouble of restocking, redoing the metal work, new bolt handle, etc., use a new, commercial barrel on it and forget the surplus route. As has been mentioned, it costs the same (sometimes more) to install a surplus barrel as it would for a new barrel. For elk, a 30-06, 338-06, or 35 Whelen would be excellent. I love the 1909 actions. They are a true pleasure to work with.

Clemson

Clemson

I'll have to see how the "re-chamber" & bore of the existing Rifle are. From what research I've done so far on the 7.65 re-chamber to .30-'06 issue it depends whether the reamer had the right diameter pilot (.31 vs .30 or none). If not the chamber could be off center to the bore. What would this do to the accuracy? Guess the only way I'll know is to send rounds down range and see what groups I get with the .31-'06. If I need to go to a new barrel....I've already changed my mind to 7x57. I could then hunt with all the Mauser calibers. Still a "thought" in progress.

ENBLOC

Hello, I have a 1909 Argentine that's the "31-06," too. The barrel looked really clean so I decided to see if it would shoot. I bought a .311 expander and it works great. I used a starting load of Varget and the 150 gr. .311 Sierra Pro-Hunter. I cut the barrel back 1", recrowned with the Lee tool, added a NECG front sight and a Williams WGRS-FN rear sight. The first three shots at 50 yards were touching. I loaded up some more with RL19 and the 150 gr Sierra to shoot at 100 yds - they would easily group 1.5 - 2" when I did my part. Have fun with the Argentine 31-06 - I really like mine.

Ken

post-5616-129470300003_thumb.jpg